Salem, NH, and its surrounding area has a high concentration of higher education institutions. This article focuses on not-for-profit private institutions as well as public 4- and 2-year colleges to help students find the school that best meets their needs.
Closest Schools to Salem, New Hampshire
As a local student, you're probably concerned with schools' proximities to Salem. While there are no universities or colleges in the immediate areas there are several that are less than 20 miles away from downtown. Here are the closest five.
- Rivier University (12.9 miles from downtown)
- Nashua Community College (15 miles from downtown)
- University of New Hampshire at Manchester (18.7 miles from downtown)
- Manchester Community College (19.3 miles from downtown)
- Saint Anselm College (19.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Salem, New Hampshire
Some students might prefer schools with larger enrollment numbers. If this is something you are concerned about, here are the five largest schools by population near Salem as of 2015.
- Southern New Hampshire University (61,285 enrolled students)
- Manchester Community College (2,968 enrolled students)
- Rivier University (2,599 enrolled students)
- Nashua Community College (2,056 enrolled students)
- Saint Anselm College (1,927 enrolled students)
Schools with Lowest Net Price
The net price is calculated by subtracting the average amount of financial aid from the average annual expenses of full-time undergraduates. The following five mainstream, not-for-profit schools in the Salem area offered the lowest net price for full-time undergraduate students according to 2014-2015 NCES statistics.
- Nashua Community College ($11,942)
- Manchester Community College ($13,423)
- University of New Hampshire at Manchester ($15,951)
- Rivier University ($26,633)
- Saint Anselm College ($31,316)
Highest Graduation Rates
The graduation rate for undergraduates of the top traditional, non-profit school in the Salem area topped 70%, according to 2015 data from the NCES. The rates were based on students who enrolled at a 4-year school in 2009 or a 2-year school and completed their programs within 150% of normal graduation time. Here is a glance at the top five schools.
- Saint Anselm College (73% graduation rate)
- Southern New Hampshire University (58% graduation rate)
- University of New Hampshire at Manchester (43% graduation rate)
- Rivier University (43% graduation rate)
- Nashua Community College (24% graduation rate)
Use this information as a quick guideline for your research on what schools you want to apply to near Salem, NH. This will allow you to make an informative decision about what schools are closest to your home, are most affordable, have the largest student population and have the best graduation rates.