The average student interested in postsecondary education is searching for a traditional public or private institution, which is why we focus solely on those types of colleges and universities that are located in the Salem, VA, area. Specifically, we use data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to compare these schools in several different categories.
Closest Schools to Salem, Virginia
Some students may wish to attend school close to home or near a certain place of work. For those students near Salem, there are mostly 4-year schools to choose from. A couple of these institutions offer graduate level programs.
- American National University (located downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Salem (located downtown)
- Roanoke College (located downtown)
- Hollins University (4.1 miles from downtown)
- Virginia Western Community College (6.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Salem, Virginia
Students considering the size of different schools can find several larger institutions near Salem. Most of these schools are private institutions, but the two largest schools are public. The majority of schools in the area have fewer than 1,500 students.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (31,224 students)
- Virginia Western Community College (8,632 students)
- Roanoke College (2,050 students)
- American National University (1,337 students)
- Hollins University (770 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The cost of education may be a significant consideration for many students when choosing a school. The NCES calculates a net price figure for a school by subtracting the average amount of financial aid awarded to in-state, full-time undergrad students from the total cost of attendance (including fees, tuition, living expenses, etc.). Net prices in 2014-2015 for schools in the Salem region ranged from around $7,000 to $30,000, according to the NCES.
- Virginia Western Community College ($6,678)
- Skyline College-Roanoke ($17,365)
- Hollins University ($18,014)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University ($18,398)
- American National University ($19,398)
Highest Graduation Rate
The academic success of students may be a reliable indicator of a school's past performance. The NCES determines a school's overall graduation rate by finding the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their programs within 150% of the normal time (e.g. six years for a bachelor's degree). The following traditional schools have some of the highest graduation rates for 2015 near Salem.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (83% graduation rate)
- Roanoke College (66% graduation rate)
- Hollins University (57% graduation rate)
- Skyline College-Roanoke (48% graduation rate)
- American National University (29% graduation rate)
Students near Salem, VA, interested in attending a public or private institution based on location, size, price, and/or graduation rates, have several 2-year and 4-year schools to choose from.