Graduate students have a variety of options to choose from in and around San Francisco, including specialized art institutes, world-renowned 4-year private universities and respected public schools. In order to select the right school amongst many great options, prospective students should review National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) data on categories including location, student population, price, and graduation rate.
Graduate Schools Closest to San Francisco, California
The 5 closest schools to San Francisco are all within the city limits and are easily accessible via public transportation or even a short walk. There are several additional options right across the bay in Oakland. Below are the 5 schools closest to San Francisco.
- California Institute of Integral Studies (0.6 miles away)
- Golden Gate University-San Francisco (1.4 miles away)
- University of San Francisco (1.5 miles away)
- University of California-San Francisco (2.6 miles away)
- San Francisco State University (5.2 miles away)
Largest Schools Near San Francisco, California
There are 4 schools in the San Francisco area with over 10,000 total students, including 2 with 30,000 students or more. It should be noted that these figures include undergraduates as well, but the data point still provides an important metric to prospective students who value size. Here is a list of the 5 largest schools near San Francisco:
- University of California-Berkeley (38,189 total students)
- San Francisco State University (30,256 total students)
- California State University-East Bay (15,528 total students)
- University of San Francisco (10,797 total students)
- Saint Mary's College of California (4,030 total students)
The cost of a graduate education is a foremost concern for many students. The following five schools have some of the the lowest average in-state graduate tuition according to information gathered from the NCES for the 2014-2015 school year.
- California State University-East Bay ($6,738)
- San Francisco State University ($6,738)
- University of California-Berkeley ($11,220)
- Argosy University-San Francisco Bay Area ($13,158)
- Holy Names University ($16,848)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES offers graduation rate data for first-time, full-time undergraduates who complete their studies within 150% of normal time (e.g., six years for a bachelor's degree). While these rates apply only to the undergraduate level, grad students can still gain valuable insight into the overall quality of an institution. The following 5 schools have the highest graduation rates near San Francisco, ranging from 64% to 92% graduation rates.
- University of California-Berkeley (92% graduation rate)
- Saint Mary's College of California (71% graduation rate)
- University of San Francisco (71% graduation rate)
- Mills College (65% graduation rate)
- Dominican University of California (64% graduation rate)
With detailed data on graduation rate, size, price, and location, prospective students near San Francisco can make a confident and informed graduate school selection.