The greater Sandy, Utah, region is home to a sizable pool of postsecondary schools, including healthcare training centers, specialized vocational institutes, community colleges and more. We compare and contrast some of the non-specialty schools in the categories that follow, using reports by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Sandy, Utah
The schools that are closest to Sandy are mostly specialty schools; however, there are 2-year and 4-year schools within 6 miles of downtown. Most of these schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a variety of fields.
- Argosy University - Salt Lake City (4.6 miles from downtown)
- The Art Institute of Salt Lake City (4.6 miles from downtown)
- Independence University (6 miles from downtown)
- Western Governors University (6 miles from downtown)
- Eagle Gate College - Murray (6.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Sandy, Utah
The largest schools near Sandy are mostly public institutions, but there are a couple larger private schools. Overall, the Sandy, UT, area offers student populations ranging from less than 50 students to almost 58,000 students, giving interested students a wide range of school sizes to choose from. The largest schools in the area include:
- Western Governors University (57,821 students)
- University of Utah (31,515 students)
- Utah Valley University (31,332 students)
- Salt Lake Community College (30,248 students)
- Independence University (4,478 students)
Lowest Net Price
A school's average net price is calculated by subtracting the amount of financial aid received by the average full-time student from a school's total cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, books, room and board. For public schools, this figure is based on costs for Utah residents. Colleges and universities in the Sandy area have average net prices ranging from around $2,000 to about $28,000. Below are some schools that have the lowest average net prices in the Sandy area, according to NCES figures for 2014-2015.
- Mountainland Applied Technology College ($2,221)
- Tooele Applied Technology College ($3,480)
- Utah Valley University ($6,565)
- Salt Lake Community College ($7,619)
- Latter-day Saints Business College ($8,583)
Highest Graduation Rate
A school's overall graduation rate is the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete a program within 150% of the 'normal' time. Four years, for instance, is the 'normal' time to earn a bachelor's degree, so the overall graduation rate would reflect the number of students who graduated in six years. Colleges in the Sandy area have overall graduation rates ranging from 100% to 11%, but not all schools report their figures to the NCES. Here are several schools with higher graduation rates for 2015, according to the NCES.
- Mountainland Applied Technology College (81% graduation rate)
- University of Utah (64% graduation rate)
- Independence University (63% graduation rate)
- Westminster College (62% graduation rate)
- Broadview University - Orem (53% graduation rate)
Students trying to compare schools near Sandy, UT, can use proximity to downtown, size, lowest net price, and graduation rates to explore multiple 2-year and 4-year public or private institution options.