Sanford, ME, residents interested in attending a postsecondary institution have a small number of choices. In this article, traditional schools are compared in several categories, using the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) as the source.
Closest Schools to Sanford, Maine
There are several 2-year (or less) and 4-year schools that are close to downtown Sanford. Many of the 4-year schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- York County Community College (13 miles from downtown)
- University of New England (15.7 miles from downtown)
- Northeast Technical Institute (23.1 miles from downtown)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (24.4 miles from downtown)
- Kaplan University-Maine Campus (26.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Sanford, Maine
Overall, the area provides schools with fewer than 100 students up to schools with more than 8,000 students. The largest institutions near Sanford are a fairly even mix of public and private schools.
- University of Southern Maine (8,428 students)
- Southern Maine Community College (6,734 students)
- University of New England (6,429 students)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (2,933 students)
- York County Community College (1,699 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES looks at the total cost of attending a particular college for a full-time undergrad and subtracts the average amount of financial aid given at that institution in order to determine a college's average net price. In the Sanford area, net costs range from under $9,000 to over $32,000 for 2014-2015. If we look at only non-specialty institutions, the following five had the lowest net prices near Sanford.
- York County Community College ($8,714)
- Southern Maine Community College ($10,860)
- Kaplan University-Maine Campus ($15,091)
- University of Southern Maine ($16,238)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine ($26,543)
Highest Graduation Rate
Examining a school's graduation rate can help students gauge their chances of success at a particular college. The overall graduation rate is assessed by determining what percentage of full-time undergraduate students graduate within 150% of the normal time for their degree program. For example, graduation rates reflect what percentage of students finish a bachelor's degree in six years. For non-specialty Sanford-area schools, graduation rates range from 17% to 79% for 2015.
- Northeast Technical Institute (79% graduation rate)
- University of New England (65% graduation rate)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (58% graduation rate)
- University of Southern Maine (33% graduation rate)
- Kaplan University-Maine Campus (26% graduation rate)
There are several public and private institutions within 30 miles of Sanford, ME, that offer students a range of sizes, prices, and graduation rates to consider.