If you're looking to pursue higher education near Chicago, Illinois, there are over a hundred schools for you to choose from. As you search for one that meets your college criteria, it can be helpful to look at data provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Chicago, Illinois
Chicago, the third-largest city in the United States, is home to many private and public institutions. If you want to pursue higher education at a non-specialty school within the city limits, you can consider one of these five institutions.
- Argosy University-Chicago (0.0 miles)
- City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College (0.0 miles)
- Adler University (0.3 miles)
- National Louis University (0.4 miles)
- DePaul University (0.6 miles)
Largest Schools Near Chicago, Illinois
Prospective students who are looking to study at an institution with a large student body have several options in the Chicago area. There are five non-specialty schools in the area that have over twenty thousand students.
- University of Illinois at Chicago (29,048 students)
- College of DuPage (28,678 students)
- DePaul University (23,539 students)
- DeVry University-Illinois (22,273 students)
- Northwestern University (21,655 students)
Lowest Net Price
College affordability is a major concern for many prospective students. A helpful indicator of the affordability of a given college is its net price. The NCES calculates this statistic by taking the total annual cost for a full-time undergraduate student and subtracting the average financial aid award. Based on statistics for the 2014-2015 school year, these Chicago-area schools were the least expensive.
- Morton College ($3,999 per year)
- Moraine Valley Community College ($4,573 per year)
- Triton College ($5,274 per year)
- Oakton Community College ($5,941 per year)
- College of DuPage ($7,333 per year)
Highest Graduation Rates
When reporting graduation rates, the NCES looks at the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who completed their programs within 150% of the normal time. If you're particularly keen to finish your degree on time, one of the following institutions near Chicago may be right for you. These schools reported the highest graduation rates for students who began their studies in 2009.
- Northwestern University (93%)
- University of Chicago (92%)
- Loyola University Chicago (74%)
- DePaul University (73%)
- Elmhurst College (67%)
In summary, there is no shortage of academic opportunities for students who want to pursue higher education at a school near Chicago, Illinois.