Students looking for a school in Scranton, Pennsylvania, have a number of available choices. To help students better understand their options, data were gathered from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) about which schools are closest to the city, have large student populations, low net prices, and high graduation rates.
Closest Schools to Scranton, Pennsylvania
If you intend to study within 5.5 miles of Scranton, Pennsylvania, you can choose from several options available, majority of which are 4-year universities. The institutions included in the list all offer certificate and undergraduate programs.
- University of Scranton (1.0 mile)
- Lackawanna College (1.4 miles)
- Marywood University (1.4 miles)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Worthington Scranton (2.5 miles)
- Summit University of Pennsylvania (5.5 miles)
Largest Schools Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Luzerne County Community College, a 2-year public college, had the largest student population in Scranton, Pennsylvania. In Fall 2014, there were 6,049 students enrolled, all of whom were undergraduates. On the contrary, the next top five schools with large populations in the Scranton area are 4-year private not-for-profit institutions.
- University of Scranton (5,589 students: 3,998 undergraduates)
- Wilkes University (4,562 students: 2,360 undergraduates)
- Marywood University (3,056 students: 2,003 undergraduates)
- Misericordia University (3,054 students: 2,465 undergraduates)
- King's College (2,308 students: 2,002 undergraduates)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES uses the total cost of attendance - tuition, fees, books, room, board and expenses - minus the average amount of financial aid given to full-time undergraduate students to arrive at a net price figure at institutions of higher learning. In comparison to one Scranton university that had a net price of more than $33,000 in 2014-2015, students can find options in the $7,000-$19,000 range.
- Luzerne County Community College ($6,642)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Worthington Scranton ($13,497)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Wilkes-Barre ($14,590)
- Lackawanna College ($15,734)
- Summit University of Pennsylvania ($18,157)
Highest Graduation Rate
A school's graduation rate is another factor to take into account when making a decision. Figures reported by the NCES were based on full-time undergraduate students who completed a degree within 150% of the 'normal' time - i.e., three years for an associate degree or six years for a bachelor's degree. In 2015, the University of Scranton had an 80% graduation rate, ranking first among traditional schools. Other institutions with high graduation rates in the Scranton area included:
- Misericordia University (72%)
- Marywood University (70%)
- King's College (66%)
- Summit University of Pennsylvania (59%)
- Wilkes University (59%)
If you are planning to study within Scranton, Pennsylvania, you can use the data obtained from the NCES to compare nearby schools and make an informed decision.