There are a plethora of colleges and universities in and around Sherman Oaks, so it is necessary to carefully preview as many options as possible before making a decision. The National Center for Education Statistics provides information on a number of factors, like net price, graduation rate, student population, and proximity to the city for each of these schools to assist in your search.
Closest Schools to Sherman Oaks, CA
Despite only having a single beauty school within the city of Sherman Oaks, there are many other options within a 10-mile area. Proximity may affect living arrangements and work opportunities; the five closest schools to the city may be viable choices for students concerned with location.
- Los Angeles Valley College (1.8 miles from Sherman Oaks)
- West Coast University-Los Angeles (3.4 miles from Sherman Oaks)
- Woodbury University (5.1 miles from Sherman Oaks)
- University of California-Los Angeles (5.7 miles from Sherman Oaks)
- Mount Saint Mary's University (5.9 miles from Sherman Oaks)
Largest Schools Near Sherman Oaks, CA
One thing to consider when previewing schools is how many students attend each one. Larger schools mean larger average class sizes and typically more extracurricular activities offered on campus. The NCES records the student populations of each college in the area based on their fall 2015 enrollment.
- University of Southern California (43,401)
- University of California - Los Angeles (41,908)
- California State University - Northridge (41,548)
- East Los Angeles College (37,188)
- Santa Monica College (30,615)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Cost is always a major factor in choosing where to attend college, and one way to examine that metric is through a school's net price. The NCES calculates schools' net prices by determining how much full-time, beginning undergraduate students typically pay to attend the school and then subtracts the average amount of financial aid those students typically receive. The most recent year for which the NCES calculated net prices was the 2014-2015 school year. The schools that have the lowest net prices, based on in-district or in-state full-time undergraduate tuition in the area are:
- California State University - Los Angeles ($3,160)
- California State University - Dominguez Hills ($3,764)
- Glendale Community College ($3,785)
- Rio Hondo College ($6,060)
- Pasadena City College ($6,544)
Highest Graduation Rates
The graduation rate of students from a particular university can often indicate how dedicated and effective the school is at teaching its students. The NCES calculates schools' graduation rates by determining how many beginning undergraduate students complete their programs within 150% of the normal amount of time allotted to that program. An example of this length of time is six years for a bachelor's degree program. Of the schools in the Sherman Oaks area, these had the highest overall rates.
- Argosy University - Los Angeles (100%)
- University of Southern California (92%)
- University of California-Los Angeles (91%)
- California Institute of Technology (91%)
- Pepperdine University (84%)
With so many options, it's important to carefully consider as many factors as possible when applying for a college in Sherman Oaks.