Sonography programs can be found at community colleges and 4-year colleges and universities. Sonography is a field that is divided into nine subcategories, including abdominal sonography, fetal echocardiography, neurosonology, obstetrical/gynecological sonography and vascular technology.
Schools with Medical Diagnostic Sonography Programs
These schools offer sonography programs that include both classroom and clinical training.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||Rochester, NY||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Certificate||$37,124|
|Seattle University||Seattle, WA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Bachelor's||$39,690|
|University of Oklahoma-Health Sciences Center||Oklahoma City, OK||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$6,501 in-state, $19,887 out-of-state|
|Ferris State University||Big Rapids, MI||4-year, Public||Associate's||$10,970 in-state, $17,562 out-of-state|
|Weber State University||Ogden, UT||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$5,321 in-state, $14,235 out-of-state|
|St. Catherine University||St. Paul, MN||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Bachelor's||$35,500|
|Oregon Institute of Technology||Klamath Falls, OR||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$8,838 in-state, $24,825 out-of-state|
|Washburn University||Topeka, KS||4-year, Public||Certificate||$6,350 in-state, $14,222 out-of-state|
|University of Nebraska Medical Center||Omaha, NE||4-year, Public||Certificate, Bachelor's||$8,897 in-state, $26,477 out-of-state|
|University of Iowa||Iowa City, IA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$8,104 in-state, $27,890 out-of-state|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
School Selection Criteria
Here are some considerations to keep in mind when seeking schools in this field:
- Students should look for schools that offer specializations in the sonography subcategories they are interested in.
- Students should apply to programs that are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP).
- Schools that offer clinical rotations in multiple facilities throughout various specializations will help students decide which specialization is the best fit for them before entering the workforce.
- Students should consider a program that offers preparation for certification through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).
Certificate in Sonography
A certificate is useful for entry-level diagnostic medical sonography or ultrasound technician positions in hospitals and clinics. Programs include coursework and clinical training.
Associate Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
A 2-year associate degree program offers more training than does a certificate program. Students may begin to specialize into general categories such as cardiac ultrasound, vascular ultrasound or general ultrasound. They learn to obtain measurements, produce sonograms, review patient information and manipulate machines. Programs include clinical training.
Bachelor's Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
A 4-year sonography or ultrasound major is a comprehensive education in the many facets of ultrasound diagnostics. Learners explore several areas of sonography, such as obstetrical, abdominal, cardiovascular and vascular sonography. Students complete several clinical practicum experiences and externships.
Medical sonography programs are available at the certificate, associate's, and bachelor's degree levels. Students who complete these programs are available for certification through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).