The South Bend, IN, region is home to roughly 15 schools for would-be college students, including a technical institute, a beauty school and a few more traditional colleges and universities. We specifically hone in on traditional institutions in and around South Bend, allowing readers to decide if any are a potential match for their academic needs based on statistics by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to South Bend, Indiana
The closest schools to South Bend are primarily 4-year institutions. Some of these schools offer a variety of undergraduate and graduate level programs.
- Ivy Tech Community College-Northcentral (located downtown)
- Indiana University-South Bend (1.4 miles from downtown)
- Purdue University-Purdue Polytechnic South Bend (1.4 miles from downtown)
- Holy Cross College (1.7 miles from downtown)
- Saint Mary's College (1.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near South Bend, Indiana
The larger the institution near South Bend, the more likely it will be a 4-year private school, although there are some public schools as well. Students can find schools in the area with hundreds of students to more than 10,000 students.
- University of Notre Dame (12,179 students)
- Indiana University-South Bend (7,859 students)
- Bethel College-Indiana (1,792 students)
- Saint Mary's College (1,519 students)
- Goshen College (843 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Net price is calculated by subtracting an average full-time undergrad student's financial aid award from the total cost of school attendance, which includes both direct expenses for classes and indirect costs like housing. Average net prices in the South Bend area were about $9,000-$27,500 for 2014-2015. Students seeking a low net price have options for both lower-priced public schools and private universities that partially offset their higher costs with larger average financial aid packages.
- Indiana University-South Bend ($9,296)
- Ancilla College ($15,058)
- Bethel College-Indiana ($18,079)
- Brown Mackie College-South Bend ($18,825)
- Goshen College ($18,878)
Highest Graduation Rate
Private not-for-profit schools had the highest graduation rates in the South Bend area for full-time undergrad students completing their studies within 150% of the normal time (six years for a four-year bachelor's degree program). Overall graduation rates for the area ranged from 18% to 97% in 2014-2015.
- University of Notre Dame (97% graduation rate)
- Saint Mary's College (79% graduation rate)
- Goshen College (66% graduation rate)
- Bethel College-Indiana (64% graduation rate)
- Brown Mackie College-South Bend (32% graduation rate)
The South Bend, IN, area offers various school locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates to meet the educational goals and needs of students.