Southfield offers a plethora of schools to choose from in the area, so it's important to carefully consider all your options. Learn about school size, nearness to the city, net price, and graduation rate for a number of these schools with information provided by the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to Southfield, MI
A school's location is important to consider when choosing where to enroll, especially for commuters. There are a number of schools in the area that are less than 10 miles from Southfield. The NCES lists these schools as the closest to the city.
- Everest Institute - Southfield (0 miles from Southfield)
- Lawrence Technological University (3.4 miles from Southfield)
- DeVry University - Michigan (3.7 miles from Southfield)
- University of Phoenix - Michigan (3.7 miles from Southfield)
- Davenport University - Livonia Location (5.0 miles from Southfield)
Largest Schools Near Southfield, MI
Student population can be important for a number of reasons, such as estimating class sizes. The larger your campus, the more likely it is for your peers to come from a diverse number of backgrounds, as well. The NCES lists the various schools in Southfield by their student populations. These public schools are the largest in the area based on their 2015 enrollment numbers.
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor (43,651)
- Wayne State University (27,140)
- Macomb Community College (22,182)
- Eastern Michigan University (21,824)
- Oakland Community College (21,061)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The cost to attend a school is one of the most important factors to consider when previewing colleges. The average net price for a college is determined by establishing the total cost of attending the school (which includes tuition, course materials, student fees, room and board) and deducting the average amount of financial aid a student receives (NCES). The schools with the lowest average full-time undergraduate net prices in the 2014-2015 year are:
- Washtenaw Community College ($3,503)
- Henry Ford College ($3,928)
- Oakland Community College ($4,175)
- Schoolcraft College ($4,854)
- Wayne County Community College District ($5,337)
Highest Graduation Rate
A college's overall graduation rate is the percentage of students who graduate in 150% of the 'usual' amount of time required (within three years for an associate's degree, for example). Graduation rates can be a good indicator as to how effective a university is at educating its students. The NCES claims these schools in the Southfield area have the highest undergraduate graduation rates.
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor (90% for those enrolled in 2009)
- Everest Institute-Southfield (67% for those enrolled in 2012)
- Everest Institute - Detroit (66% for those enrolled in 2012)
- University of Detroit Mercy (63% for those enrolled in 2009)
- Madonna University (61% for those enrolled in 2009)
When looking for a college in Southfield, Michigan, remember to take into consideration the graduation rate, location, student population, and net price for each school before making a decision.