The greater Sparks region is home to a few institutions of higher learning, though it's important to note that just about all of them operate on a for-profit basis. To help local students determine if any of these schools meet their educational needs, we compare the schools in the four categories with data reported by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Sparks, Nevada
Many students want to attend school near home or a place of work. For students near Sparks, there are several 2-year institutions, as well as a couple of 4-year schools. Some of these schools are less than 5 miles from downtown Sparks.
- Career College of Northern Nevada (1 mile from downtown)
- Truckee Meadows Community College (3.3 miles from downtown)
- University of Nevada-Reno (4.4 miles from downtown)
- Sierra Nevada College (23.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Sparks, Nevada
Schools near Sparks, NV, range in size from around 100 students to more than 19,000 students. Most of the larger schools in the area are public or 4-year schools.
- University of Nevada-Reno (21,463 students)
- Truckee Meadows Community College (10,861 students)
- Sierra Nevada College (889 students)
- Career College of Northern Nevada (359 students)
Lowest Net Price
The net price of attending college encompasses many different factors, including tuition, fees, housing and the availability of financial aid. The NCES approximates the net price of attending a college by subtracting the total average amount of financial aid a full-time undergraduate student receives from the total estimated cost of attendance. Several schools near Sparks have low net prices (under $30,000), based off of their NCES net price for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Truckee Meadows Community College ($9,307)
- University of Nevada-Reno ($16,253)
- Career College of Northern Nevada ($19,357)
- Milan Institute-Sparks ($24,743)
- Sierra Nevada College ($29,242)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates and retention rates are often used to measure how likely a student is to succeed at a particular school. In the Sparks area, highest graduation rates among schools ranged from 71% to 31%. The NCES determines a school's graduation rate by looking at the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who graduated from their chosen degree program within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g. six years for a bachelor's degree or three years for an associate's degree). Here are some of the higher graduation rates in the Sparks area for 2018.
- Milan Institute-Sparks (71% graduation rate)
- Career College of Northern Nevada (67% graduation rate)
- University of Nevada-Reno (61% graduation rate)
- Sierra Nevada College (45% graduation rate)
- Truckee Meadows College (31% graduation rate)
We compared public and private institutions in the Sparks, NV, area in four different categories (location, size, price, and graduation rates) to help students select the school that aligns best with their educational needs.