Students seeking higher education in Spokane, Washington, can obtain a variety of degrees, ranging from certificates to Ph.D.'s., at one of the numerous public and private institutions in the area. To help students select a school that best fits their needs, the following details compare several of these colleges and universities by drawing data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), including distance from the city, school size, lowest net price, and highest graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Spokane, Washington
For students wishing to attend college in the Spokane, Washington area, there are several public and private universities, as well as a two year community college program all within convenient transportation distance. If location is an important consideration, this list contains a variety of options within 6 miles of downtown Spokane.
- Gonzaga University (1.4 miles from downtown)
- Washington State University - Spokane (2.5 miles from downtown)
- Spokane Community College (3.2 miles from downtown)
- Whitworth University (6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools near Spokane, Washington
The largest school in the Spokane area is Eastern Washington University, a public 4-year university with a student population of 12,361 during the 2015-2016 school year, 11,300 of which were undergraduates. The following are other large schools in the area:
- Spokane Community College (10,218 students)
- Gonzaga University (7,491 students)
- Spokane Falls Community College (5,909 students)
- Whitworth University (2,650 students)
- Carrington College-Spokane (413 students)
Schools with the Lowest Net Cost
An affordable education may be the primary concern for many students as they choose schools. The NCES determines each school's net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid from the projected total cost to attend an institution. The net price of all academic institutions near Spokane ranged from $32,111-$4,842. Per the NCES records for the 2014-2015 school year, the public and private not-for-profit schools with the lowest net prices for full-time, undergraduate students were as follows:
- Spokane Community College ($4,842)
- Spokane Falls Community College ($6,384)
- Eastern Washington University ($12,318)
- Whitworth University ($27,365)
- Gonzaga University ($32,111)
Highest Graduation Rates
Another factor to use when considering a prospective college is the graduation rate. The NCES determines a school's graduation rate based on the amount of full-time, undergraduate students who graduated within 150% of normal time. Of all the institutions in Spokane, graduation rates ranged from 22%-100%, according to the 2015-2016 NCES records. The public or private not-for-profit institutions with the highest 2015-2016 graduation rates are as follows.
- Gonzaga University (83%)
- Whitworth University (75%)
- Eastern Washington University (46%)
- Spokane Community College (24%)
- Spokane Falls Community College (22%)
By evaluating location, student population, net cost of attendance and graduation rates of colleges and universities in the Spokane, Washington area, students can make the best decision on which school they should attend.