According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the following schools have the highest rate of graduation, the largest student populations, are the least inexpensive and are nearest to the Springfield, MA, area. Compare the schools below to find the one that is right for you.
Closest Schools to Springfield, MA
Several colleges offering undergraduate and graduate degrees can be found within 5 miles of downtown Springfield, MA. Springfield Technical Community College offers certificates and associate's degrees and is located only a half of a mile away from downtown, while American International College, which grants a wide variety of degrees, including graduate degrees, is about two miles outside downtown. The next-closest schools are:
- Springfield College (located 2.3 miles from downtown)
- Bay Path University (3.8 miles from downtown)
- College of Our Lady of the Elms (4.2 miles from downtown)
- Western New England University (4.5 miles from downtown)
- Holyoke Community College (7.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Springfield, MA
The largest university, the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, is located within 25 miles of Springfield, MA. Approximately 28,635 students attend this school with 22,252 of them enrolled as undergraduates. The next-largest schools are much smaller:
- Springfield Technical Community College (6,622 undergraduates)
- Holyoke Community College (6,604 undergraduates)
- Westfield State University (5,590 undergraduates)
- Western New England University (2,732 undergraduates)
- American International University (1,473 undergraduates)
Lowest Net Price
Statistics provided for all U.S. colleges were collected by The National Center for Education Statistics (2014-2015). To compute a school's net cost, the amount of financial aid usually awarded is subtracted from the annual undergraduate tuition and fees required for a full-time student. According to NCES, the five schools that follow are among the least expensive in the Springfield, MA, vicinity.
- Holyoke Community College ($6,914)
- Springfield Technical Community College ($7,997)
- Westfield State University ($15,203)
- Amherst College ($16,861)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst ($19,109)
Highest Graduation Rates
To estimate a school's graduation rate, the NCES verifies how many full-time undergraduate students complete their degrees within 150% of 'normal time, ' such as bachelor's degrees within 6 years. Of the schools that were evaluated, the five listed below had the highest graduation rates (2014-2015).
- Amherst College (95% graduation rate)
- Smith College (87% graduation rate)
- Mount Holyoke College (85% graduation rate)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (78% graduation rate)
- Springfield College (72% graduation rate)
There are several schools found within 25 miles of Springfield, MA, which offer the lowest price tags, largest student populations and top graduation rates for this area.