The St. Paul area has community colleges, 4-year public schools and private colleges and universities. This article presents data gathered by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) that compares these schools using factors including proximity to St. Paul, school size, cost, and graduation rate.
Closest Schools to St. Paul, Minnesota
There is a mix of 2 and 4-year schools, both public and private, within a 6-mile radius of St. Paul. While Metropolitan State University is downtown, the remaining schools are also very close to the city.
- Metropolitan State University (downtown St. Paul)
- Saint Paul College (3.8 miles away)
- Concordia University-Saint Paul (5.3 miles away)
- Hamline University (5.3 miles away)
- Macalester College (5.8 miles away)
Largest Schools Near St. Paul, Minnesota
There are 3 large schools near St. Paul with 35,000 or more students. The remaining 76 schools have 10,200 or less. Below is a list of the top 5 largest schools near St. Paul:
- Walden University (52,188 total students)
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (51,147 total students)
- Capella University (35,061 total students)
- University of St. Thomas (10,140 total students)
- Normandale Community College (9,539 total students)
Lowest Net Prices
It's important for students to know the total net cost of any school that interests them. The NCES determines the average net cost for U.S. colleges by subtracting the amount of government or institutional aid that full-time students receive from the total cost of attendance. The following 5 schools offer the lowest net prices for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Century College ($8,184)
- North Hennepin Community College ($10,036)
- Bethany Global University ($10,572)
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College ($10,974)
- Inver Hills Community College ($11,437)
Highest Graduation Rate
The success of a school may partially be determined by its graduation rate. The graduation rates reported by the NCES are based on the percentage of full-time students who completed their studies within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g., six years for a bachelor's degree or three years for an associate degree). Listed below are the 5 schools with the highest graduation rates in the St. Paul, MN, area.
- Macalester College (90% graduation rate)
- Minneapolis Business College (86% graduation rate)
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (77% graduation rate)
- University of St. Thomas (76% graduation rate)
- Academy College (75% graduation rate)
After acquiring this critical information, prospective students near St. Paul are ready to select a college and pursue a certificate or degree.