While there aren't many postsecondary institutions in the city of Staten Island, there are various public and private colleges and universities in the surrounding area. Valuable evaluation criteria from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) presented below includes proximity to Staten Island, school size, cost, and graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Staten Island, New York
For those seeking a school close to Staten Island, below is a list of the five closest schools. It is a mix of private and public schools, as well as 2 and 4-year institutions.
- College of Staten Island CUNY (4.6 miles away)
- Wagner College (6.9 miles away)
- Lincoln Technical Institute-Edison (10.1 miles away)
- Union County College (10.3 miles away)
- Middlesex County College (11.6 miles away)
Largest Schools near Staten Island
There are many large public and private institutions near Staten Island. The below five schools range from roughly 23,000 to 49,000 students and are located in both New York and New Jersey.
- New York University (49,274 total students)
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick (48,378 total students)
- Columbia University in the City of New York (27,589 total students)
- CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College (26,606 total students)
- CUNY Hunter College (23,112 total students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Another factor students may want to consider is average cost of attendance. The rankings below were based off of information taken from NCES and include the average net price for beginning students attending full time in the 2014-2015 academic year (www.nces.ed.gov).
- Union County College ($4,102)
- Stella and Charles Guttman Community College ($5,988)
- Brookdale Community College ($6,468)
- Hudson County Community College ($6,791)
- Middlesex County College ($6,832)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES also offers data on first-time undergraduate degree seekers who graduated within 150% of the expected time for graduation (3 years for associate degrees, 6 years for bachelor's degrees). Graduation rates could offer insight into the quality of the scholastic focus and drive of students attending the school.
- Columbia University in the City of New York (95% graduation rate)
- Barnard College (91% graduation rate)
- New York University (84% graduation rate)
- Stevens Institute of Technology (82% graduation rate)
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick (80% graduation rate)
There are many different colleges or universities to choose from near Staten Island, New York, and the presented evaluation factors should prove to be valuable in selecting the right school.