New doctors graduating from medical schools with Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degrees may go directly into practice, but almost all doctors complete a residency first, and many participate in fellowships as well. Surgery-focused residency and fellowship options are available through many medical schools.
10 Schools with Surgical Programs
Here are some schools that offer residency and/or fellowship programs in surgery:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Programs Offered|
|Ohio State University||Columbus, OH||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
|University of Florida||Gainesville, FL||4-year, Public||Residency|
|Michigan State University||East Lansing, MI||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
|University of South Florida||Tampa, FL||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
|New York University||New York, NY||4-year, Private||Residency, Fellowship|
|University of Michigan-Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
|University of Washington-Seattle Campus||Seattle, WA||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
|University of California-Los Angeles||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
|University of Arizona||Tucson, AZ||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
|Temple University||Philadelphia, PA||4-year, Public||Residency, Fellowship|
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Clinical Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing
- Direct-Entry Midwifery - LM, CPM
- Licensed Vocational Nurse Training
- Mental Health Nursing
- Neonatal Nursing
- Nurse Anesthetist
- Nurse Assistant or Patient Care Assistant
- Nurse Midwife
- Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Administration
- Nursing for Adults and Seniors
- Nursing Science
- Occupational Health Nursing
- Operating Room and Surgical Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Public Health Nurse or Community Nurse
- Registered Nurse
School Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for surgical schools:
- Some programs offer residencies in general surgery, while other residencies are offered in particular subfields; so you should look for schools with the option you prefer.
- If you are particularly interested in research, you should try to find a school where it is emphasized in the curriculum.
- Look at the school's national reputation, particularly in your field of interest.
- Surgical residencies carry a salary and benefits, so it can be helpful to compare packages.
After earning a doctorate, aspiring surgeons can begin a residency program. Some schools offer general surgery residency programs, while others offer residencies in some of the broader subfields, such as orthopedic surgery, pediatric surgery or neurological surgery. Usually, these programs last five years, but some specialized programs, such as neurological surgery, can take up to seven years to complete. Students in general surgery programs get extensive hands-on clinical experience in all aspects of surgery, and they usually have the opportunity to conduct clinical research in the field.
For students who want to gain experience in a highly specialized subfield of surgery, medical schools offer one- to two-year fellowships. Each medical school offers different options, but possibilities include transplant surgery, breast surgery and hand surgery. Like residency programs, these programs consist primarily of intensive clinical work. Upon completion, doctors may start practicing or choose another fellowship in a specialty area of interest.
Students who have M.D. or D.O. degrees and want to become surgeons must complete a residency and, in most cases, they choose a fellowship as well. Top medical schools offer these programs.