Many of the schools near and in Tampa are private schools, but there are ten public schools. To sort through these options, prospective students can use data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to narrow their search using certain criteria.
Schools Closest to Tampa, Florida
Within a roughly 5-mile radius, there are 5 schools for students to choose from who value proximity to the city. These schools are a mix of public and privately-owned institutions, offering both 2 and 4-year degree programs. Below is a list of the 5 schools closest to Tampa.
- Hillsborough Community College (1.2 miles away)
- The University of Tampa (1.2 miles away)
- Argosy University (3.4 miles away)
- Everest University-Tampa (4.9 miles away)
- South University (4.9 miles away)
Largest Schools Near Tampa, Florida
While Tampa has many college options, there are only 8 schools with over 2,000 total students. The top 5 schools near Tampa range from nearly 8,000 to 42,100 total students. Below are the top 5 largest schools near Tampa:
- University of South Florida-Main Campus (42,067 total students)
- St Petersburg College (31,767 total students)
- Hillsborough Community College (26,571 total students)
- The University of Tampa (7,959 total students)
- University of South Florida-St Petersburg (4,739 total students)
Lowest Net Price
Cost can be an important consideration when deciding which college to attend, especially for students who wish to minimize student loan debt. NCES calculated net prices for the 2014-2015 school year by determining the total cost of full-time, in-state attendance (including the average cost of room and board) and subtracting the average amount of financial aid received. The following five schools had the lowest net prices of all schools within 25-miles of Tampa.
- Hillsborough Community College ($5,400)
- University of South Florida-St Petersburg ($10,461)
- St Petersburg College ($10,933)
- University of South Florida-Main Campus ($11,514)
- Everest University-Brandon ($20,591)
Highest Graduation Rates
Prospective students might consider a school's graduation rate an important factor in deciding what school to attend. NCES reports overall graduation rates, which show the percentage of first-time students who completed their programs within 150% of the normal completion time (for example, three years for an associate's degree program). The following five schools have the highest graduation rates of all schools near Tampa:
- Argosy University-Tampa (100% graduation rate)
- University of South Florida-Main Campus (68% graduation rate)
- Eckerd College (65% graduation rate)
- Remington College-Tampa Campus (64% graduation rate)
- Fortis College-Largo (58% graduation rate)
After considering these evaluation factors including, location, price, graduation rate, and size, prospective students near Tampa are ready to select a school and pursue a degree.