Tax Schools and Colleges in the U.S.

While a 1-year tax certificate or a 2-year associate's degree program provides a basic introduction, most schools offer tax programs leading to the Master of Taxation or Master of Science in Taxation. Graduate certificates in taxation are also available.

Those interested in a school offering tax degrees have several options at the undergraduate and graduate level. A good business school may be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), but note that the school can be accredited in business and not accountancy.

10 Schools with Tax Programs

The schools listed are some colleges and universities that offer tax programs.

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Tuition (2015-2016 In-State)*
Arizona State University Tempe, AZ 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's $10,158 (Undergrad) $11,304 (Graduate)
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's $13,790 (Undergrad) $17,289 (Graduate)
University of Central Florida Orlando, FL 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's $6,368 (Undergrad) $8,872 (Graduate)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Champaign , IL 4-year, Public Master's $18,041 (Graduate)
Florida International University Miami, FL 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's $6,556 (Undergrad) $11,097 (Graduate)
California State University-Fullerton Fullerton, CA 4-year, Public Master's $7,703 (Graduate)
University of North Texas Denton, TX 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's $9,730 (Undergrad) $7,165 (Graduate)
American River College Sacramento, CA 2-year, Public Certificate, Associate's $1,104 (Undergrad)
San Jose State University San Jose, CA 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's $7,378 (Undergrad) $8,644 (Graduate)
Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA 4-year, Public Bachelor's $12,772 (Undergrad)

Source: *National Center for Education Statistics

School Selection Criteria

Consider the following when looking for tax schools:

  • You'll need to think about your career goals when choosing which education level you'll want to pursue in the field. For basic tax preparation training, a private company with a good reputation may suffice for training. If you want to become an accountant, however, you'll need to complete a formal degree program.
  • Some schools offer flexible schedule options for students, including during tax time. Classes might be offered in the evenings or on weekends.
  • Some tax programs specialize in one area of taxation; see if their specialty matches your career interests.

Students interested in schools that offer tax programs should take several factors into consideration, such as flexible schedule options and coursework in the area of taxation they are looking for. Programs are offered at both the undergraduate and graduate levels for those pursuing an accounting or business degree with a specialty in taxation.

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?