Management information systems (MIS) master's degree programs teach students advanced information technology (IT) skills through courses in database management, decision-making and departmental leadership.
Florida State University, the University of Maryland - Baltimore County and Carnegie Mellon University are three of the best universities with online MIS master's degree programs. Each of these institutions was nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL
|School Highlight: This online program at FSU requires a total of 33-credit hours.|
FSU's College of Business has an online Master of Science in Management Information Systems program. The program consists of various courses which combine IT and business administration training and provide a comprehensive overview of MIS concepts. Classes include information technology management, project management, corporate information concepts and financial reporting. The program is typically completed in 24 months. For 2017, the school was ranked #38 among public schools by U.S. News & World Report.
University of Maryland - Baltimore County in Baltimore, MD
|School Highlight: This online MIS program is identical to that which is offered as an on-campus degree.|
The institution offers an online Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS). Students spend at least two years completing courses in MIS, network management, database systems, electronic commerce, data-mining and information architecture. The program provides students with access to professors, students and an online academic adviser. U.S. News & World Report ranked the school #5 among the most innovative schools for 2017.
Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA
|School Highlight: The school offers a Master of Science in Information Technology online program with degree options in information technology management, information security and assurance and business intelligence and data analytics.|
Carnegie Mellon had the #2 program for management information systems for 2017, according to U.S. News & World Report. The Master of Science in Information Technology degree consists of 12 courses, each of which lasts a full semester. Courses are available entirely online, but students have the opportunity to watch on-campus lectures recorded on video, and they can interact with instructors and other students through online platforms such as live chats and discussion threads.
Top MIS Online Degree Programs
These schools also have strong online MIS programs:
- Courses for DePaul University's master's degree in information systems are offered online, but students are required to keep the same pace as a student in a traditional class on the school's Chicago, IL, campus.
- At Hawaii Pacific University in Honolulu, HI, Master of Science in Information Systems students can apply for a merit-based assistantship offered through the College of Business Administration.
- At Minot State University in Minot, ND, MSIS program can be completed in two semesters.
- The Master of Science in MIS program at National University in La Jolla, CA, includes 12 courses, including a two-part project.
- Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL, offers a Master of Science in Computer Science, Information Security, Information Technology, Management Information Systems and Software Engineering.
- To complete the MIS master's degree at the University of Illinois at Springfield, students can choose between a project or thesis combined with a seminar, or a capstone course option combined with an additional elective.
At the master's degree level, students interested in MIS can find a variety of programs online, many of which allow students to concentrate in a particular subfield based on their educational interests.