Students can choose from many excellent universities with graduate programs in television production and related fields. The colleges below offer some of the best programs in the nation.
Top graduate schools offering television production programs include the University of Southern California (USC), the University of Texas at Austin (UT-Austin) and Ball State University, and all are ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Each university has master's degree programs that provide a thorough education in film and television production, including the opportunity for students to film, direct, and edit production pieces of their own, sometimes in professional studio settings. These master's degree programs in television and film production require at least two years to complete.
University of Southern California in Los Angeles
|School Highlight: USC was ranked among the top 25 national universities in the nation in 2017 by U.S. News & World Report.|
Because of its location in L.A., USC is a popular school among students interested in television production. The university's School of Cinematic Arts offers a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Cinematic Arts, Film and Television Production. The program includes courses in television directing, news writing, cinematic communication, film and television acting, television station management and television documentary production. In addition to classroom courses, students learn television production skills through hands-on production projects with film and television studios.
University of Texas at Austin
|School Highlight: UT-Austin was named in 2017 as the 18th best public school in the country by U.S. News & World Report.|
The university's Department of Radio-Television-Film offers a MFA in Film and Media Production. The program allows students to film, produce, and edit films and documentaries through courses in television writing, alternative media, production techniques, and reception studies. In the third year, students demonstrate their proficiency in film and television production with a comprehensive thesis project.
Ball State University in Muncie, IN
|School Highlight: The school's master's degree program in digital storytelling emphasizes production and design in a new media technology environment.|
According to U.S. News & World Report, Ball State University is a top 100 public school with an excellent telecommunications department offering undergraduate and graduate degrees. The Master of Arts in Telecommunication - Digital Storytelling program prepares professionals with media technology and communication skills to produce effective content in a variety of digital media.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Photo, Film and Video Tech
- Radio and Television Broadcasting
- Recording Arts
Top Television Production Graduate Programs
Plenty of other institutions have excellent graduate programs in television production including the following schools.
- Boston University in MA offers a Master of Science (MS) program in television can be completed in three semesters.
- CUNY Brooklyn College of New York has an MFA program in television production covers a variety of production styles, including news, sports, documentary, drama, art and experimental.
- New York University in NYC has a Dual Master of Business Administration (MBA) and MFA program in film production that allows students to simultaneously focus on the creative and business sides of the entertainment industry.
- In Evanston, IL, at Northwestern University, the Master of Arts (MA)/PhD program in screen cultures is research based, but students can take courses in media production; students earn a master's degree en route to the doctorate.
- San Diego State University in CA offers a master's degree in television, film and new media; the university is also home to the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film.
- California is also home to San Francisco State University, where students can choose from specializations in audio and video production, management, media aesthetics and news and documentary within the MA program in broadcast electronic communication arts.
- Syracuse University in Syracuse, NY, is where students in the master's degree program in radio, television and film can pursue internship opportunities in major media markets, and they participate in industry seminars based in Los Angeles and New York City.
- Philadelphia, PA, is home to Temple University, where students in the Master of Arts (MA) program in media studies and production can select a concentration in media production and business designed for students who want to work hands-on in the media industry.
- University of North Texas in Denton, TX, has an MFA program available in radio, television and film production that requires three years of study.
The University of Southern California, University of Texas-Austin and Ball State University are three of the best schools in graduate television production schools. Other schools offer equally good programs as well as a variety of master's and doctorate degrees in television and other digital media areas.