Undergraduate engineering programs typically confer bachelor's degrees and involve extensive math and science coursework. Read on for more information about some of the best schools in the field.
Although undergraduate engineering programs are offered by many great schools, the California Institute of Technology, Stanford University and Carnegie Mellon University have three of the best programs you'll find. They were all ranked highly among national universities by U.S. News & World Report for 2017. The field of engineering is broad, and all of these schools give you the opportunity to explore numerous majors, ranging from bioengineering to aerospace, civil engineering to electrical engineering.
California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, CA
|School Highlight: Caltech has ties with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).|
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is a small, four-year, private school that U.S. News & World Report ranked 12th among the best national universities for 2017, making it one of the highest ranked schools to offer an undergraduate engineering program. Caltech's Division of Engineering and Applied Science has undergraduate engineering programs in aerospace, computing and mathematical science, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering.
Stanford University in Stanford, CA
|School Highlight: All of Stanford's engineering departments are ranked in the top 10 nationally.|
Ranked tied for fifth among U.S. News & World Report's best national universities of 2017, Stanford University is another nationally-renowned school with undergraduate engineering programs. Undergraduate engineering programs are available in many areas, including aeronautics and astronautics, civil and environmental engineering, bioengineering and electrical engineering. A larger school than Caltech, the Stanford School of Engineering is home to more than 240 faculty members, over 4,000 students, and nine departments.
Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA
|School Highlight: The school was named a National Center of Excellence in the areas of information assurance/cyber defense research and education.|
Carnegie Mellon offers Bachelor of Science programs in a variety of engineering disciplines. Students spent their first year taking core engineering courses before declaring a major in their field of interest, which may be chemical, civil and environmental, electrical and computer, mechanical or materials science in engineering. Double major options are also available in areas such as biomedical engineering as well as public policy and engineering. For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Carnegie Mellon #24 among all national universities. It also ranked the undergraduate engineering program #8 among schools that offer both undergraduate and doctoral degrees in the field.
Top Undergraduate Engineering Programs
Here are some more of the best undergraduate engineering schools in the country:
- Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, is home to several engineering-related, national research centers, including the Center for Advanced Computing, the National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center and the Nanobiotechnology Center.
- Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD, was selected to join the National Science Foundation's Innovation Network, which links faculty and student researchers from its four member schools with entrepreneurs, and venture capitalists.
- At Northwestern University in Evanston, IL, freshman can participate in the Engineering First program to get training and hands-on experience in engineering early in their college careers.
- The University of California - San Diego in La Jolla, CA, was ranked #44 among national universities and #24 among doctorate-granting undergraduate engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
- At the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, several undergraduate engineering specialties were ranked in the top 10 by U.S. News & World Report for 2017, including engineering physics, and agricultural, civil, materials, electrical and aerospace engineering.
- Students at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia can participate in local and international engineering service-learning opportunities, such as Engineers Without Borders (EWB).
- Since 2006, ten of the faculty members at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles have been elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
- At Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN, undergraduate engineering students can participate in a 10-week summer research program with School of Engineering faculty and graduate students.
- Undergraduates at Washington University in St. Louis, located in Saint Louis, MO, can pursue an individually designed major incorporating several fields of engineering and applied science.
Undergraduates who want to study engineering can find well-regarded programs at some of the nation's best universities. Often, they can choose between many majors within the field.