Universities Offering a Masters Degree in Social Work

The Master of Social Work (MSW) degree is required for work as a clinical social worker. Programs are available at private and public universities around the country.

View popular schools

While a bachelor's degree is the minimum educational requirement for social workers, most aspiring professionals earn an MSW and complete a post-master's experiential program so that they can take the licensure exam to qualify as clinical social workers.

Schools with Master's Degree Programs in Social Work:

At these schools, it is possible to study social work at the master's degree level:

College/University Location Institution Type Tuition (2015-2016)*
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI 4-year, Public $20,638 (In-state); $41,688 (Out-of-state)
Washington University in St. Louis St. Louis, MO 4-year, Private $47,300
University of Chicago Chicago, IL 4-year, Private $51,624
University of Washington Seattle, WA 4-year, Public $15,207 (In-state); $27,255 (Out-of-state)
Columbia University New York, NY 4-year, Private $42,280
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, NC 4-year, Public $9,143 (In-state); $26,354 (Out-of-state)
University of California-Berkeley Berkeley, CA 4-year, Public $11,220 (In-state); $26,322 (Out-of-state)
University of Texas-Austin Austin, TX 4-year, Public $10,934 (In-state); $20,762 (Out-of-state)
Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, OH 4-year, Private $41,137
Boston College Chestnut Hill, MA 4-year, Private $26,172

Source: *National Center for Education Statistics

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Adult Development and Aging
  • Child Care Management
  • Child Care Services
  • Child Development
  • Community Organization and Advocacy
  • Family and Community Services
  • Family Systems
  • Human Development and Family Studies
  • Social Work
  • Youth Services

University Selection Criteria

When selecting a social work program, you might consider the following:

  • Prospective students must make sure that the program is accredited by the Council on Social Work.
  • For students who are interested in a particular area of the field, such as children and families, health, or minority groups, it is helpful to find a school that offers concentration or dual degree opportunities in that area.
  • Students should explore the internship opportunities available through the program and make sure the school provides opportunities in a setting where they want to work in the future, such as a rural clinic or urban hospital. Some schools even offer international internships.
  • Working professionals and prospective students with other scheduling constraints should look for programs that are available in online or part-time formats.

Master's Degree in Social Work

Master of Social Work (MSW) programs provide the educational background necessary to take the clinical social worker licensure exam. In these programs, students build their clinical assessment, problem-solving and leadership skills, and they must fulfill an internship or practicum requirement prior to graduation. Some programs allow students to choose a concentration in a particular interest area, such as children/families, adults and healthy aging or community organization. There are also schools at which it is possible to pursue a dual degree in related field, such as a Master of Public Health. In total, these programs take two years of full-time study to complete, but there are some schools at which it is possible to choose a three- or four-year part-time track. Upon completion, graduates are prepared for the two-year residency that they must complete before taking the state licensure exam.

Many schools across the country offer MSW programs that prepare aspiring social workers for licensure. Prospective students should consider schools that provide specialization options and internship opportunities that align with their career goals.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

    • MS in Human Services
    • MS in Human Services - Family and Community Services
    • MS in Human Services - Organizational and Social Services
    • MS in Psychology - Addictions

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • M.A. in Human Services - Human Services Counseling
    • M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
    • M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling
    • M.A. in Human Services - Conflict & Mediation Ministry
    • M.A. in Human Services - Criminal Justice & Ministry
    • M.A. in Human Services - Grief Counseling

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • Master of Liberal Arts

    What is your highest level of education?

  • What is your highest level of education?

    • Master of Social Work - Advanced Track
    • Master of Social Work - Standard Track

    What is your highest level of education?

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?