Master's degree programs in sports management are available at universities across the country. These programs may be housed in a university's department of arts and science, hospitality, business or continuing education.
10 Schools with Master's Degrees in Sports Management
The following schools are the universities that offer master's degree programs in sports management:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Graduate Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Ohio University||Athens, OH||4-year, Public||$9,510 (In-state) $17,502 (Out-of-state)|
|University of Massachusetts-Amherst||Amherst, MA||4-year, Public||$12,782 (In-state) $28,002 (Out-of-state)|
|University of Central Florida||Orlando, FL||4-year, Public||$6,916 (In-state) $25,759 (Out-of-state)|
|University of Oregon||Eugene, OR||4-year, Public||$14,256 (In-state) $24,165 (Out-of-state)|
|Columbia University||New York, NY||4-year, Private||$42,280|
|University of South Carolina||Columbia, SC||4-year, Public||$12,384 (In-state) $26,532 (Out-of-state)|
|Georgetown University||Washington, DC||4-year, Private||$44,712|
|Florida Atlantic University||Boca Raton, FL||4-year, Public||$5,467 (In-state) $16,695 (Out-of-state)|
|The George Washington University||Washington, DC||4-year, Private||$27,810|
|University of Northern Colorado||Greeley, CO||4-year, Public||$9,306 (In-state) $17,951 (Out-of-state)|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science
- Physical Education and Health
- Sport and Fitness Management
- Sports Medicine
University Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for a sports management school:
- Specialization options allow you to go beyond the core curriculum and take courses in marketing, media relations, or management, and since sports management is so closely tied to the business of sports, taking these related courses is something to consider.
- Look for internship opportunities. Many schools have strong ties to local business and sports teams, including a university's own sports team.
- Several schools give students opportunities to develop and expand their network of connections in the sports industry.
- Some sports management programs offer weekend and evening classes so that students who work during the weekdays can pursue their degrees on a part-time basis.
Graduate Degrees in Sports Management
Master's degree programs in sports management programs can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. The curriculum spans about 36-45 credits that can be satisfied in a minimum of three semesters. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree, qualifying scores from graduate exams and relevant references.
Numerous schools offer master's degree programs in sports management and may provide choices for specialization in a particular area. Prospective students may want to look into universities that provide internship, networking and job opportunities.