A prospective student considering a public administration degree should first decide which program is appropriate and meets his or her personal and professional objectives. Entry-level positions may require only an associate's degree, while roles with more responsibility require at least a bachelor's.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Cultural Studies
- Ethnic and Gender Studies
- Geography and Cartography
- Human and Consumer Sciences
- Human and Social Services
- Liberal Arts, Humanities, and General Studies
- Military Studies
- Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Religious Studies
- Social Science and Studies
- Social Studies and History
- Theological, Religious, and Ministerial Studies
Schools with Public Administration Programs
The table below lists some of the school that offer degrees in either public administration or a related program such as public affairs or non-profit management.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Program Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Syracuse University||Syracuse, NY||4-year, Private||Master's & Doctoral||$33,312|
|University of Georgia||Athens, GA||4-year, Public||Master's & Doctoral||$8,492 (in-state), $24,090 (out-of-state)|
|Indiana University||Bloomington, IN||4-year, Public||Master's & Doctoral||$8,442 (in-state), $26,812 (out-of-state)|
|Harvard University||Cambridge, MA||4-year, Private||Master's & Doctoral||$41,832|
|University of Kansas||Lawrence, KS||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's & Doctoral||$10,825 (in-state, undergraduate), $26,659 (out-of-state, undergraduate) $9,029 (in-state, graduate), $21,120 (out-of-state, graduate)|
|University of Southern California||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's & Doctoral||$50,277 (undergraduate), $39,984 (graduate)|
|Rutgers University||New Brunswick, NJ||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's & Doctoral||$14,131 (in-state, undergraduate), $29,521 (out-of-state, graduate), $16,272 (in-state, graduate), $27,648 (out-of-state, graduate)|
|American University||Washington, DC||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's & Doctoral||$43,103 (undergraduate), $27,468 (graduate)|
|New York University||New York, NY||4-year, Private||Master's||$38,592|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
University Selection Criteria
Students should consider the following when selecting a program:
- An associate's degree program in public administration provides a brief introduction to the field, while other degree options go into much more depth and may allow a student to choose a concentration area, such as non-profit management, financial management, health policy and public policy analysis.
- A master's degree program prepares students to attain executive-level positions in public administration.
- Internships can play a large role in providing students with experience and connections; prospective students should give a school's internship opportunities consideration.
Students interested in starting a career in public administration may find a number of four-year universities that offer programs that will prepare them for entry level careers. These schools may also prepare students for more advanced study at the graduate level that lends towards better employment options.