Distance Learning Courses and Degree Programs Video
Distance Learning Courses and Degree Programs Video Transcript
Finding it too hard to get to class? Distance learning may be your answer. You can earn an online degree, finish high school, take continuing education courses or just take classes for fun or self-improvement.
What is Distance Learning?
Distance learning is designed to educate students who are not physically 'on site' at an institution. Instead of going to a classroom at a school or college, teachers and students communicate through letters, e-mail or telephone calls. Courses may use standard textbooks or they may present materials online or through other technologies. Programs may be entirely remote or the student may be required to attend some classes in person.
What are the Different Types of Distance Learning?
There are two basic formats for distance learning courses. There are those that have regularly scheduled class times where all students must participate and those that allow each student to access course materials at any time. Many students enjoy the convenience of unscheduled courses, but some students find it hard to stay on track without a formal schedule.
What Types of Technology are Used?
Today's distance learning courses range from low to high tech. Some traditional correspondence programs, which use regular mail delivery of printed materials, still exist, but many of those are being phased out. Most distance learning programs use a combination of technologies for communication, to present course materials, share projects and take tests.
Many distance learning programs use e-mail for basic communication and to send file attachments. Some also use instant messaging, chat rooms and online forums to exchange ideas with other students and to post questions to the teacher. Other options that improve group interaction, such as teleconferencing, web conferencing and collaborative software are becoming more common.
Course materials are presented with a variety of low and high tech methods. Some programs use traditional textbooks, audiocassettes, DVD videos, cable television and radio programs. Others use online textbooks, video lectures, pod casts, MP3 downloads, interactive CD-ROMs, multimedia websites and virtual classrooms.
Tests and evaluations can be handled in several ways. Some institutions design open book tests that require student research to succeed. Some require students to locate test proctors to oversee their examinations or require students to take tests at the host college. A newer trend requires students to show their knowledge by completing a project rather than taking a test.
Why Choose Distance Learning?
There are many advantages to distance learning. Courses allow students to work at their own pace and on their own schedule. Courses can be tailored to multiple learning styles making them more accessible to those with learning differences. College level courses may cost less through distance learning programs and students may be able to find online courses not offered by their local colleges. Distance learning programs can also serve students without transportation and those who live in rural areas.
What Types of Degrees can You Earn?
There are many accredited and non-accredited institutions offering courses at all academic levels - from high school to university and vocational. Students may take courses individually or may enroll in diploma, certificate or degree programs. Distance learning programs offer a wide variety of degrees at the associate's, bachelor's and master's degree level, and even a few doctoral level programs in subjects such as education and business.
Distance learning is a very convenient choice for many students and it can sometimes be the only practical choice. Today's technology can provide an interactive learning experience that may be equal to or better than traditional classroom study. You'll want to research the credentials of the school of your choice, as well as inquire about the instructional methods they offer.
Distance Learning Courses and Degree Programs Video Related Articles
Earning a bachelor's degree in four years is no big deal for some students. But for others, it's not so easy. And sometimes, it just...
Are you a video game nut? It's hard not to be with so many great games out on the market today. But how do you avoid becoming the...
For over three hundred years, U.S. colleges and universities have bestowed honorary degrees on people for their lasting impact on society...
Apprenticeship programs have evolved and are no longer vocational training programs for boys and young men. Many occupations offer modern...
A recent study published by the National Bureau for Economic Research confirms what many worried parents have already noticed: Students...
- Distance Learning Physical Education Degree Programs
- Online Associate's Degree Programs in Elementary Education
- Online Master's Degree Programs in Teaching Special Education
- Top Online Graduate Degree Programs Distance Learning
- Teaching Special Education Degree Programs in Cincinnati
- Community College Early Childhood Education Degree Programs
- Teaching Special Education Degree Programs in Seattle
- YouCollege: Video Becomes the Next Big Thing in College Applications
- Job Resumes 2.0: Creating a Video Resume
- Colleges Introducing Three-Year Degree Programs
- Advertising and Marketing Distance Learning Programs: Degree Info
- Bachelor Degree Completion Programs
If you're interested in the healthcare field but aren't sure which major to pursue, we've created a list of some of the highest-paying...
Dentists and pharmacists are committed to helping patients maintain or improve their health, but their salaries and career outlooks are...
Students interested in studying game design can learn about the technical and artistic concepts under pinning the creation of characters,...
The NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) released recent reading and math results for tests that were administered through...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Doctor - Management - Criminal Justice
- Doctor of Computer Science
- Doctor of Computer Science in Information Assurance
- Doctor of Management in Graduate Level Instructional Practices
- Doctor of Computer Science in Enterprise Information Systems
- Doctor of Management in Organizational Development and Change
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- MS in Computer Science - Database Systems
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA in Entrepreneurship
- MS - Computer Science - Computer Systems Security
- MS - Information Technology
- BS in Psychology
- BS - Criminal Justice
- BS in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- BS in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- BS - IT - Web Development
- Associate of Science in Business Administration
- MBA in Management
- MBA in Operations Management
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Master of Science (MSIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- MBA in Project Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Generalist
- Bachelor or Science - Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- BBA in Marketing
- BBA in Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Finance
- Bachelor of Science (BSIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Associate of Arts in Business Administration
- Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Doctor of Psychology - Criminology and Justice Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Human Services
- PhD in Organizational Development and Leadership - Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialization
- Doctor of Philosophy in Organizational Development and Leadership
- Doctor of Psychology - Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Arts in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Criminology and Justice Studies
- MA in Psychology, Career Management & Counseling
- MA in Organizational Development and Leadership - Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialization
- Master of Arts in Public Sociology
- DBA in Applied Computer Science
- PhD in Business Administration - Applied Computer Science
- DBA in General Business
- PhD-TIM - Computer Science
- DBA in Management
- Ed.D in Sports Management
- MA in Psychology - General Psychology
- MBA in Applied Computer Science
- MBA in General Business
- Master of Education - General Education
- Accelerated Master of Business
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Criminal Justice
- Education Specialist in Organizational Leadership
- Education Specialist with a specialization in Special Education
- Education Specialist with a specialization in International Education
- Education Specialist in Early Childhood Education
- Education Specialist in Curriculum and Teaching
- Education Specialist with a specialization in Instructional Leadership
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: Clinical Nurse Specialist Specialization - Online
- MA in Communication
- Master of Liberal Arts
- MA in Science Writing
- MS in Applied Economics
- MS in Geographic Information Systems
- MS in Bioinformatics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Government Analytics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Applied Research for Communication
- MS in Food Safety Regulation
- Certificate in Science Writing
- Certificate in Science, Technology, and International Security Studies
- Post-Master Acute Care Pediatric Certificate - Online
- MS in Teaching & Learning
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Finance
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master - Information Technology Management
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- BS in Communication
- BS in Human Services
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Project Management
- BS in Marketing
- Undergraduate Specialization - Criminal Forensics
- Graduate Certificate - Human Resource Management
- Undergraduate Certificate - Project Management
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Graduate Certificate - Cyber Security
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication - Advocacy and Social Impact Concentration
- Master of Arts in Economics
- Master of Public Administration and Policy
- Master of Science in Agile Project Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Graduate Certificate in Agile Project Management
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Analytics and Management
- Graduate Certificate in Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path, Executive Leader Specialization
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing - Doctor of Nursing Practice Path
- Master of Science in Legal Studies
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Master of Public Health
- Undergraduate in Legal Studies
- BS in Liberal Studies
- BS in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Investment Career Focus Area
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Business
- AAS in Legal Support and Services
- AAS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Admin-Office Management
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- AAS in Accounting
- Medical Assisting
- Certificate in Human Services
- Medical Office Administration
- Human Services Certificates in Child and Family Services
- Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Ministry
- MS in Criminal Justice
- Accelerated MBA
- MBA in Business Administration
- MBA in Healthcare Administration
- Master of Public Administration
- MS in Information Systems
- BA in Psychology
- BS in Criminal Justice
- BA in Business Administration
- BS in Health Science
- BS in Healthcare Management
- BS in Nursing
- AS in Paralegal Studies
- AS in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Post Graduate Certificate in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Post Graduate Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nurse Administrator
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nurse Educator
- MS in Entertainment Business
- MS in New Media Journalism
- MFA in Creative Writing
- MS in Public Relations
- MS in Internet Marketing
- MS - Instructional Design and Technology
- BS in Music Business
- BS in Digital Cinematography
- BS in Media Communications
- BFA in Creative Writing for Entertainment
- BS in Sports Marketing and Media
- BS in Game Design
- Cert - Instructional Design and Technology