Doctoral Degree Details Video
Doctoral Degree Details Video Transcript
A doctoral degree isn't for everyone, but it is the only path to many high-profile careers. If a graduate degree, such as a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Dental Medicine (DDM) or a Juris Doctorate (JD) law degree sound good to you, then you need to find out what a doctoral degree is all about.
What is a doctoral degree?
A doctoral degree is an advanced post-graduate degree usually requiring two or more years of study. This is the academic pinnacle of many disciplines.
A doctoral degree is awarded to students who have completed the required coursework and independent study, and have also demonstrated and defended their knowledge through oral and written examinations. They have often completed original academic research in the form of a doctoral dissertation or other presentation.
What are the Degree Options?
Research doctorates are awarded for completing doctoral level programs in the liberal arts, sciences, mathematics and technology. These degress may be the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree or a specialized doctoral degree such as the Doctor of Education (Ed.D.), Doctor of Architecture (D.Arch.), Doctor of Fine Arts (D.F.A.) or Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng.).
First-professional degrees are designed to prepare the student for a particular career or profession, such as law, medicine and related fields. Some examples are the Juris Doctorate (J.D.), Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine and Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.D.M.).
Why Earn this Degree?
A doctoral degree prepares students for highly coveted positions in research, academics, leadership and administration in many fields as well as for other skilled high-paying professions. Many students pursue doctoral degrees to become experts in their fields and contribute to the knowledge base of their discipline. Some also earn doctoral degrees in hopes of earning high incomes.
Earning a doctoral degree is a major investment of time and resources, but it also represents the highest of academic achievements. The dedicated individuals who earn a doctorate often go on to make great contributions to human welfare, human knowledge and technological innovations.
Doctoral Degree Details Video Related Articles
Learn about the education and preparation needed to enter dental professions. Get a quick view of the career options as well as details...
When it comes to shrinking job opportunities and lower salary prospects for graduates - not to mention increases in tuition - that would...
Given the United States' recent economic troubles, it may seem odd to talk about job growth. Yet according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor...
Last month, Washington Governor Chris Gregoire signed into effect a law that allows employers to give veterans hiring preference over...
Congratulations - you've been accepted into law school. Of course, now the real work begins. You'll need to be at your best from the very...
- Doctoral Degree in Counseling Psychology
- Distance Learning Doctoral Degree in Organizational Leadership
- Distance Learning Doctoral Degree Program in Computer Science
- Distance Learning Doctoral Degree Programs in Counseling Psychology
- Online Doctoral Degree Programs in International Business
- Doctoral Degree Program in Clinical Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy Degree by Distance Learning
- Info on Dental Apprenticeship Programs
- Philosophers in the Blogosphere: 10 Top Philosophy Blogs
- Philosophy Major: Information and Requirements
- Bush's No Child Left Behind Law Leaves Certain Children Behind
- Top Schools for Dental Support Service Programs
Online courses for automotive mechanics may be available fully online or in a hybrid format. Due to the hands-on technical nature of...
Nurse practitioners and doctors are medical professionals, and while nurse practitioners and doctors may have many similar duties, doctors...
The Maryland area has several schools that offer CPR classes. Get some information about courses and some quick facts for two of these...
Read up on the schools offering the top Masters of Accountancy programs in the nation. Learn about these schools' rankings as well as...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Doctor of Psychology - Criminology and Justice Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Human Services
- PhD in Organizational Development and Leadership - Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialization
- Doctor of Philosophy in Organizational Development and Leadership
- Doctor of Psychology - Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- DBA in Applied Computer Science
- PhD in Business Administration - Applied Computer Science
- DBA in General Business
- PhD-TIM - Computer Science
- DBA in Management
- Ed.D in Sports Management
- Doctor of Business Administration - Management
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Special Education
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Cognition and Instruction
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Doctor - Management - Criminal Justice
- Doctor of Computer Science
- Doctor of Computer Science in Information Assurance
- Doctor of Management in Graduate Level Instructional Practices
- Doctor of Computer Science in Enterprise Information Systems
- Doctor of Management in Organizational Development and Change
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Ministry
- Ph.D. in Literacy
- Ph.D. in Literacy: Educational Leadership
- Ph.D. in Literacy: Special Education
- Ph.D. in Literacy: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Ph.D in Literacy: Literacy
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: Clinical Nurse Specialist Specialization - Online