Liberal Arts Degree Program and Career Video
Liberal Arts Degree Program and Career Video Transcript
If you aren't interested in a vocational school or a professional degree, chances are you're going to be majoring in one of many Liberal Arts majors. Degree programs in history, English, literature, general studies, fine arts, philosophy, humanities, sociology, geography, theology, languages, mathematics and science are generally found within the liberal arts division of a college or university.
A degree in the Liberal Arts generally refers to a degree in one of the humanities, fine arts, mathematics or science. These subjects are intended to provide a broad general education and to develop the intellect, rather than prepare a student for a profession or trade. Students who choose a Liberal Arts discipline will hone their writing skills and make gains in critical thinking, problem solving and analysis. A Liberal Arts program will also give students an understanding of other points of view, as well as perspectives on different societies and cultures of the past and present.
Required coursework will vary for each Liberal Arts degree. There are a few associate degree programs to choose from, but most Liberal Arts degrees are at the bachelor's level. A handful of colleges offer a Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree which consists of a self-tailored program of general studies courses. Most Liberal Arts degrees, however, are within a particular field of study. Colleges often reorganize their degree prorams, but disciplines that are typically found within the Liberal Arts division of a college or university include:
- General Studies
- Fine Arts
- Political Science
Because degree programs in the Liberal Arts are not designed to prepare students for a particular profession or vocation, graduates may have difficulty matching their educational backgrounds to a particular career. Many Liberal Arts graduates decide to teach in their degree area or go on to graduate school.
Graduates who decide to enter the workforce find that the skills and perspective gained with their degree are an occupational advantage in the business world. Some valuable Liberal Arts skills include:
- Writing skills
- Presentation skills
- Research skills
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Foreign language proficiency
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity
Higher Learning/Graduate Studies Opportunities
Most bachelor's degree programs in the Liberal Arts are also available at the master's degree level. Some can also be pursued at a doctoral level. It is also common for a Liberal Arts graduate to earn a master's degree in business.
A handful of universities offer advanced degrees, such as the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, which are self-designed interdisciplinary programs combining coursework from several of the humanities and social sciences.
Degree programs in the Liberal Arts allow students to study a rich variety of interesting, creative and intellectual topics that enrich the human experience or liberate creativity. Graduates from Liberal Arts disciplines have a well-rounded education and bring many valuable skills to the workplace.
Liberal Arts Degree Program and Career Video Related Articles
If you want to pursue a Ph.D. in multiple areas of study, you may choose to propose an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in liberal arts. Learn...
In a recent 'Philanthropy Daily' editorial called 'Illiberal Education and the 'New College' Problem,' author Naomi Schaefer Riley...
An Associate in Arts (AA) degree program in liberal arts is designed to expose students to a wide variety of subjects and perspectives at...
Associate of Arts programs in liberal studies prepare students to pursue a generalized education. This allows students to build a...
Some higher ed observers claim that majors in the liberal arts don't provide an adequate path to professional success. But far from...
- Liberal Arts Associate's Degree
- Liberal Arts Degree
- Liberal Arts Colleges in Houston
- Liberal Arts Schools in Milwaukee
- Liberal Arts Colleges East Coast
- Liberal Arts Colleges in Illinois
- Liberal Arts Major
- Cost Analysis of Distance Learning Liberal Arts Programs
- Liberal Arts Masters Degree Program Information
- List of Free Online Liberal Arts Courses and Classes
- Study.com 2010 Scholarship Winners: Liberal Arts
- Bachelor's Degree in Liberal Arts: Program Information
Individuals seeking a marketing-related career within the hospitality industry have a wide range of options to consider that involves...
Military officers seeking postgraduate education may be a good fit for these five master's degree programs. Obtaining degrees in these...
Athletic trainers help with the assessment, prevention and treatment of sports-related injuries. The most commonly offered courses for...
Master's degree programs in rehabilitation counseling are widely available, both on campus and online. We'll explore the general program,...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Liberal Arts
- MA in Public Management
- MA in Government
- MA in Museum Studies
- Master of Public Administration and Policy
- MS in Human Services
- BS in Liberal Studies
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- Certificate in Human Services
- Human Services Certificates in Child and Family Services
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services Online
- Associate of Arts
- Doctor of Philosophy in Human Services
- Master of Arts in Public Sociology
- Master of Arts in Public Sociology - Medical Sociology
- Master of Arts in Public Sociology - Applied Sociology
- Master of Arts in Human Services
- MA in Human Services, Not-for-Profit Management
- MA in Human Services, Mental Health Administration
- Master of Arts in Public Sociology - Medical Sociology
- Master of Science in Management - Public Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Global Leadership
- BS - Criminal Justice - Human Services
- BS - Business Administration - Public Administration
- MS in Data Science: Social Science Analytics
- Doctor of Ministry
- Master of Public Administration - Public Management
- M.A. Ministry - Spiritual Formation
- Master of Practical Theology
- Master of Social Work - Advanced Track
- Master of Social Work - Standard Track
- M.A. Ministry - Children, Youth and Family
- B.S. General Studies - Liberal Arts
- B.S. General Studies - Human Services
- B.S. General Studies - History
- B.S. General Studies - Religious Studies
- B.S. Biblical Studies
- A.S. General Studies - Liberal Arts
- A.S. General Studies - Human Services
- A.S. General Studies - History
- A.S. General Studies - Religious Studies
- A.S. Christian Ministries
- Undergraduate Certificate - General Studies
- Undergraduate Certificate - Human Services
- Undergraduate Certificate - Religious Studies