Mammography Technician Video: Educational Requirements in Mammogram Technology
Mammography Technician Video: Educational Requirements in Mammogram Technology Transcript
Mammography technicians are radiologists who use medical imaging to perform an important test known as a mammogram. A number of job opportunities exist for technicians who have been trained in this division of radiology. Most can be pursued after passing an approved program and licensure exam.
A mammography technician is a radiological technician that has been trained to scan breast tissue for signs of breast cancer and other afflictions. The scans, also known as mammograms, are used to catch problems while they are still treatable and frequently save both women and men from the sometimes fatal effects of breast cancer.
All mammography technicians are licensed radiological technicians. Most states require technicians to pass an approved program before being allowed to take the licensure exam. Many individuals choose to take a one-year technical course, but associate and bachelor degree programs are also available. Once a diploma or degree has been earned, radiological techs must attend additional training specifically in mammograms. This training consists of approximately 40 hours of classroom time and hundreds of hours performing mammograms under the supervision of a certified mammography technologist. New mammography technicians must also complete training on the use of solid state detectors, which is replacing standard x-rays as the preferred method of photographing breast tissue.
Job Skills and Duties
Mammography technicians must understand a variety of technologies, such as how to operate x-ray imaging machinery. The importance of taking a high quality image that can be read by a nurse or physician is crucial. It's estimated that one in ten cases of breast cancer are overlooked on a mammography. In addition to technical knowledge, mammography technicians must be able to work with the patients forced to undergo this serious and sometimes stressful test.
Well Known Jobs within This Field of Expertise
Most mammography technicians work at a clinic, hospital or mobile mammography service. All mammography technicians are trained radiological technicians first, so many choose to work in the field of x-ray and sonographic technology. Experienced mammography technicians who hold a bachelor's or master's degree frequently seek out management or teaching positions.
If you are thinking about working in this field, you should know that mammography technicians perform a very important service. Anyone who aspires to this job must be thoroughly trained and detail oriented. The work that a mammography technician does could save someone's life.
Wikipedia - Mammography
Bureau of Labor Statistic Occupation Outlook Handbook - Radiologic Technologists and Technicians
Mammography Technician Video: Educational Requirements in Mammogram Technology Related Articles
Packing classrooms full of the latest technology has become one of the hottest trends in education across the country. It seems that new...
Computers, smart phones and other gadgets are ubiquitous in our lives. Ever-easier to carry around with us, it's a rare moment that we're...
In this year's Almanac of Higher Education, The Chronicle explores the rapidly expanding use of technology on college campuses by both...
There are a number of options for free online courses in technology offered online. Learn which technology courses are available, what...
Learn about programs in science, technology and society, which focus on how scientific and technological advancements affect the social...
- Mammography Technician Degrees
- Radiology Technology Degree
- Medical Technology Degree
- Medical Technology Schools
- Radiology Technology Training
- Radiology Technology Bachelors
- Medical Technology Programs
- Top Schools for Communication Technology Programs
- Associate of Specialized Technology in PC & Network Technology
- Associate of Plumbing and Heating Technology: Degree Overview
- Diploma in Laser Technology
- Associate of Construction & Cabinetmaking Technology: Degree Overview
Here are five Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) colleges located in Massachusetts, along with various details on institution type,...
Supply chain analysts work behind the scenes to ensure that goods are produced and transported on time and on budget. This article looks at...
There are seven schools in Madison, Tennessee, and 40 more schools located within a 25-mile radius. Learn about schools in the area and...
Promotions managers work with companies to promote their services or products. Explore what types of work promotions managers perform, and...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- RN to BSN
- AS in Medical Assisting
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Administration
- B.S. General Studies - Life Sciences
- B.S. Healthcare Administration
- A.S. General Studies - Life Sciences
- MBA - Healthcare Management