Pharmacy Technician Career Video
Pharmacy Technician Career Video Transcript
If you're looking for an allied health career where your attention to detail and ability to multi-task will be appreciated, you might enjoy being a pharmacy technician. A pharmacy technician helps the licensed pharmacist fill prescriptions, label medications, place orders for medicine, conduct pharmaceutical inventories, and stock shelves for over-the-counter drugs, among other duties.
Pharmacy technicians are skilled allied health workers who help pharmacists by doing the routine tasks associated with packaging prescribed medication, providing drugs and health care products to patients and managing the pharmacy.
Pharmacy technicians are invaluable to pharmacies because they free the pharmacist from many duties and allow him or her more time to consult with patients. Pharmacy technicians may work in a variety of settings, including retail or chain pharmacies, mail-order pharmacies, hospitals and nursing facilities. Pharmacy technicians are responsible for many tasks having to do with prescriptions, however, pharmacists always double-check all medications before they are given to patients. Many pharmacy technicians receive on-the-job training, perhaps moving up from a job as a pharmacy aide, but many employers favor individuals with an associate degree and certification.
Job Skills and Duties
To succeed as a pharmacy technician you must be organized, alert, observant and precise. This is a job with a lot of responsibility where errors can sometimes be a matter of life or death. In general, technicians receive written prescriptions and process insurance claim information. Then they count, weigh and measure the medication, compound pharmaceutical components, select the proper containers and prepare and apply the labels.
Pharmacy technicians who work in hospitals or long term care facilities are also responsible for reading and documenting the patients' charts and delivering the medications to the nursing station or to the patients themselves. In high-tech facilities, pharmacy technicians may use robotic equipment to assemble doses for each patient and dispense them when needed.
Most pharmacy technicians receive on-the-job training. Associate degree programs for Pharmacy Technicians are available through community colleges, vocational training schools and some hospitals. Pharmacy technicians may also become Certified Pharmacy Technicians by passing a written exam. Some states, such as Virginia, require certification.
Becoming a pharmacy technician can be a great allied health career field. Many employers favor some kind of formal training usually in the form of an associate's degree, but on-the-job training may be an acceptable method of upward mobility. Check with your local community colleges for more information.
Pharmacy Technician Career Video Related Articles
Pharmacy technician associate degree programs provide students with the knowledge and skills they'll need to fill support roles within...
Individuals interested in pursuing an Associate of Specialized Technology in Pharmacy Technology may find this type of degree is not...
Seven schools in the San Jose, CA, area have top ranking pharmacy technician programs. Read on to find out more about what these top...
Tampa has about 16 schools with pharmacy technician programs. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program...
Few schools in the Sacramento, CA, area have top ranking pharmacy technician programs. Read on to find out more about what these top...
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate Programs in Reseda, CA
- Pharmacy Technician Phd
- Pharmacy Technician Diploma Programs in Maryland
- Pharmacy Technician Diploma Programs in Vancouver, WA
- Pharmacy Technician Diploma Programs in California
- Pharmacy Technician Schools
- Pharmacy Schools in Florida
- Top Pharmacy Technician School in Stockton, CA
- Top Ranked Pharmacy Technician School - Cincinnati, OH
- Top University in San Diego with a Pharmacy Technician Degree Program
- Top College in Tucson for a Pharmacy Technician Degree
- Top Pharmacy Technician Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ
There are three Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) colleges located in Indiana for students interested in becoming Marines....
Those wishing to work on a tropical island can choose from several careers across fields like hospitality and scientific research. Learn...
The College Board Advocacy & Policy Center (CBAPC) recently released a series of resources for educators and policymakers, including a...
Casino managers oversee the basic operations of a casino, including games, security and employee management. Individuals interested in...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Doctor of Management in Health Care Management & Leadership
- MS - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- BS - Business Administration - Health Care Management
- MBA in Health Care Management
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- Online Master of Science in Health Care Administration - Acute Care
- Online Master of Science in Health Care Administration - Long Term Care
- Online Master of Science in Health Care Administration - Service Organization
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Health Care Administration
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- MSHS in Clinical Research Administration
- MSHS in Regulatory Affairs
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Regulatory Affairs
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management