Physician's Assistant Career Video for Medical Assisting Students
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Coursework Overview for the Medical Professions
- Medical Examiner and Coroner Professions Video: Training and Educational Requirements
Physician's Assistant Career Video for Medical Assisting Students Transcript
Medical assisting, for the purpose of this video, is concerned with the occupations of physician assistants and surgical assistants. This is not to be confused with the occupation of medical assistant. If you are interested in the area of medical assisting, this video provides a good introduction into making your career decision.
Physician assistants (PAs) are given a lot of responsibility as part of the medical team. Under the direct supervision of a physician, they are fully trained to diagnose, treat and prescribe preventative care for patients . PAs routinely examine patients, interpret x-rays and lab tests and make diagnoses. Additionally, most states allow PAs to prescribe medicine.
Sometimes, physician assistants are the primary care providers for people. This is particularly true for inner city and rural community clinics where a physician is only present a few days a week. In fact, many PAs work in general care facilities such as family medicine.
Job Skills and Duties
Physician assistants must be quick and effective thinkers in order to interpret test results, answer patient questions and make a diagnosis. All states require PAs to be certified, and to maintain certification a PA must have 100 hours of continuing education every two years.
Physician assistants in all states must be licensed . Licensing usually includes passing an accredited program and then passing a national exam. Many programs require two years of college after obtaining a bachelors degree and require some work experience in the health care field. Students are educated in areas such as biochemistry, human anatomy, physiology, clinical medicine and disease prevention. Students then receive supervised clinical training under supervision of physicians where they often find permanent employment.
Physician assistants play an important role in today's heath field. As expansion of the health care industry grows hospitals are employing PAs in greater numbers. Look for programs at your local college for medical school for a career as a physician's assistant.
[#1] The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov
[#2] The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov
[#3] iseek, www.iseek.org
Physician's Assistant Career Video for Medical Assisting Students Related Articles
Associate's degree programs in medical assisting can train aspiring professionals to perform both clinical and clerical duties in medical...
Many schools in the Columbus, OH, area have top ranking medical and clinical assisting programs. Read on to find out more about what...
Medical assistant certificate programs are designed for people who want to enter the healthcare field in an administrative role with...
San Antonio, TX, has about 14 schools with programs in medical assisting. Find the best program for you by reading about schools'...
Students interested in studying medical assisting in Pittsburgh, PA, have many schools to choose from. Read about the top local schools'...
- Medical Assisting Schools in Riverside
- Medical Assisting Certificate Program in GA
- Medical Assisting Diploma Programs in Vancouver, WA
- Physician's Assistant Training
- Physicians Assistant Colleges
- Medical Assisting Schools in Reno
- Medical Assisting Diploma Programs in Texas
- Top College in Tucson for a Medical Assisting Degree
- Top School for Medical Assisting - Louisville, KY
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) Certification and Training Programs
- Pediatric Medical Assistant: Employment and Career Information
- Becoming a Medical Assistant Online: How-To Guide
Administrative analysts can perform a wide range of duties that may vary depending on the field they work in. This article explores the...
A taxation master's degree focuses on federal, state and local taxes. Graduates with a Master of Taxation or an MBA in Taxation can provide...
Software architects and product managers are interested in meeting demands, whether those of a company or those of consumers. Let's...
Technical drawing courses are offered at technical schools, colleges and universities. These classes can be found in academic programs...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- MBA Health Care Management Concentration
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration
- AS in Medical Assisting
- AS in Medical Assistant
- Certification - Medical Assistant
- Diploma Program - Pharmacy Technician
- Certification - Pharmacy Technician