Sports Agent Video: Educational Requirements for a Career in Sports Management
Sports Agent Video: Educational Requirements for a Career in Sports Management Transcript
Sports are a lucrative business today and sports agents are a big part of it. Sports agents represent athletes in the negotiation of contracts. They also handle public relations and sometimes help their clients with financial planning. While a degree is not required to become an agent, earning a degree in sports management or some other related business degree will teach the business skills needed to be successful.
The job of the sports agent is to represent athletes in negotiating contracts with the teams that employ them. They also negotiate endorsement deals for their clients and often handle public relations. Other times athletes turn to their agents for guidance in all business and financial matters, including investments and tax filing. Agents earn their salary by getting a percentage of what they negotiate for their clients. There is no college degree required to become a professional agent, but to have the best chance of being successful in today's competitive sports market, earning at least a bachelor's degree is highly recommended.
While earning a business degree is certainly beneficial, a degree program in sports management best addresses the business, management and marketing challenges unique to the world of sports. Students will learn to apply principles of marketing, communication and management to the professional sports industry. Students will also develop skills in planning, promotion, organization and financial management. A sports management degree program will allow students to specialize in an area such as administration, sports marketing or sports communications. Another education option involves pursuing a master's or Ph.D. in sports management after earning a general business undergraduate degree.
Agents often begin their careers by working in larger sports agencies where they gain experience and have the opportunity to build their client base. Others start off by working for sports organizations in media relations or sports administration. Experienced individuals often go on to open their own agencies.
Higher Learning/Graduate Opportunities
It usually takes time to make the connections necessary to become a sports agent. However, graduates of a sports management master's degree or Ph.D. program increase their opportunities for employment. The type of available employment, through which vital work experience can be gained, includes positions in sports marketing, sales, advertising, event and facility management and interscholastic athletic administration.
Agents are far more prevalent in the sports world today than they were several decades ago. Nowadays, nearly all professional athletes hire an agent at some time in their careers. With the money being offered to athletes today, being a sports agent can be a lucrative occupation. A college degree in business or more specifically, in sports management, gives the person interested in this field a definite advantage.
Sports Agent Video: Educational Requirements for a Career in Sports Management Related Articles
The highest degree in the field of sports management is a Ph.D. Get more information about doctoral programs in this field, including...
If you're seeking an education in sports management, there are a variety of on-campus and online bachelor's degree programs available....
Find out about online sports management and administration courses and in which degree programs they're most commonly offered. Get course...
Learn about online sports management degrees with sports management courses. Get an overview of the program types, requirements and...
Research online sports management associate's programs. Find out what you can learn in these programs and what you'll need in order to...
- Sports Management College
- Sports Management Undergraduate
- Sports Management Schools
- Sports Management Certifications
- Sports Management Graduate Degrees
- Sports Management Graduate Programs
- Online Classes in Sports Management
- Associate of Business Science (ABS): Sports Management Degree Overview
- Online Bachelor of Sports Management Degree Program Information
- Top-Ranked Sports Management Degree in Chicago
- Sports Management Masters Degree Program Overview
- Bachelors Degree in Sports Management: Program Overview
Working with digital media platforms, these professions have much in common in the way they design websites, but their focuses, salaries,...
Online electrician programs and courses are available for initial training, continuing education (CE) credits or exam preparation for...
Learn about online doctoral programs with criminology courses. Get an overview of the program types, requirements and course descriptions...
Colorado has roughly 35 schools that offer cosmetology programs. Learn about the certificates and degree programs, tuition info and...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management
- Master of Science in Sports Analytics Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Ed.D in Sports Management
- PhD in Education - Sports Management
- Master of Education with a specialization in Athletic Coaching
- MEd in Sports Management
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- Education Specialist with a specialization in Sports Management
- MS in Sport Management
- MBA in Sport Management
- MBA in Athletic Administration
- International MBA in Athletic Administration
- International MBA in Sport Management
- MS in Management - Healthcare
- BS in Sports Management
- BS in Business Studies - Sport Management
- BS Health Science
- BS Business Administration with concentration in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration
- MSE: Exercise Science
- MBA - Sports Management and Recreation
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Transitional Doctorate of Physical Therapy
- MBA in Health Care Management
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- Online Master of Science in Health Care Administration - Acute Care
- Online Master of Science in Health Care Administration - Long Term Care
- Online Master of Science in Health Care Administration - Service Organization
- EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- M.B.A. with an Emphasis in Sports Business
- MBA: Health Systems Management
- MS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
- BS in Sports Management
- BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science with an Emphasis in Trauma