Technical Writing Professions Video: Becoming a Technical Writer
Technical Writing Professions Video: Becoming a Technical Writer Transcript
Are you a techie with a passion for writing? You may want to consider a career as a technical writer. These writing professionals spend their time translating complex technical information into a language that everyone can understand. Advances in technology have created an increased demand for talented writers in this specialty.
A its most basic level, a technical writer takes technical information and translates it into text that is easier for the average person to understand. Projects that a technical writer might commonly complete include user guides, assembly instructions, product manuals and training manuals.
Job Skills and Duties
Unlike some writers, technical writers must have a basic understanding of technology. They should be able to use a computer, communications equipment and other types of electronics. Writers who create electronic documentation for the Internet may also need to be familiar with graphic design, multimedia software and content management systems. A firm grasp of grammar and usage is another important requirement. Since technical writers spend most of their time writing, they need to have the skill required to create text that not only makes sense, but also follows the rules of the English language.
Technical writers can work in nearly every industry imaginable. The types of duties they perform on the job vary depending on where the writer works. Technical writers who work for book, magazine, journal or newspaper publishers often write short articles or books that are geared towards laymen or industry professionals. Writers who work for the government frequently craft pamphlets, manuals and other materials published by the Government Printing Office. Those who work for ad agencies typically write press releases and other types of promotional material.
The amount of training needed to become a technical writer is very dependent on topic and industry. For example, some technical writers work in the insurance industry, creating manuals for agents and adjusters. In this case, knowledge of the field, the ability to do research and basic writing skills are all that is needed. But for writers who cover subjects such as science, medicine and aerospace, specialized training in the appropriate field may be necessary, as it will make it easier for the writer to properly translate technical jargon.
In short, a degree is not absolutely required to break into technical writing, but it is certainly helpful. Many technical writers enter the field with an associate's degree or a bachelor's degree. Some technical writers have a degree in a technical specialty or a professional background in writing. Others have a degree in English and a basic knowledge of technology. Those who do not have formal education sometimes start out as a technician or research assistant and then transfer later into the writing field.
Many of the people who work as technical writers are self-employed. They freelance and sell their copy to publishers, ad agencies and other firms who are looking for a technical translator. Those who aren't self-employed generally work on a contract basis for large companies. Writers may start out fact checking or copyediting before they are allowed to move on to bigger projects. Technical writers with a great deal of experience are known as senior technical writers or editors. They sometimes work alone, but more frequently head up small teams of technical writers to complete various projects. Although most technical writers work standard 40 hour weeks, overtime may be needed in order to meet deadlines.
Technical writers are people who can convey complicated ideas in simplified terms. Their job requires attention to detail, creativity and a solid understanding of written English. Technical writing is a great career choice for writers who have technical abilities and for techs who love to write.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook - Writers and Editors
Wikipedia - Technical Writing
Technical Writing Professions Video: Becoming a Technical Writer Related Articles
In a graduate program in technical writing, students learn the fundamentals of technical writing, like information design, editing,...
Find out where you can earn a degree in technical and business writing. Read about the programs offered by four leading universities, and...
If you're a student enrolled in English classes, compare and contrast essays may not be your favorite thing in the world. But don't...
Looking for a job? An effective cover letter can help you make a strong first impression and stand out from the pool of applicants. Read...
Even in this day and age, good writing should never be put off. Learn how to place your participles and tame those dangling prepositions...
- Technical Writer Certification
- Technical Writer Masters
- Technical Writing Degree
- Technical Writer Degree
- Online Associate's Degree Programs in Technical Writing
- Online Masters Degree in Technical Writing
- Distance Learning Bachelor's Degree in Technical Writing
- Make Your Writing Shine: Tips for Perfect Usage
- Common Writing Errors: Write Right
- Break that Block: Five Fun Writing Prompts
- Technical Writing Certificate: Program Summary
- Technical Writing: Overview of Adult Education Programs
Paramedics and nurses complete many of the same tasks when helping patients; however, they also work in very different settings. Learn...
Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs in technology management are available at several schools throughout the United States....
A veterinary assistant helps with the care and treatment of animals under the supervision of a veterinarian or veterinary technician....
Distribution managers oversee the organization and transportation of goods and products from a distribution center. Managers can find...
Perfect School Search
10 Popular Schools
The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.
- MBA Finance Concentration
- MBA General Management Concentration
- MBA Health Care Management Concentration
- MBA Human Resources Management Concentration
- MBA Leadership and Organizational Health Concentration
- MBA Marketing and Advertising Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
- RN-BSN Degree
- Jack Welch Executive Master of Business Administration
- MBA - Management Concentration
- MBA - Acquisition Concentration
- MBA - Marketing Concentration
- M.Ed. - Technology in Education Concentration
- MBA - Professional Studies Concentration
- BBA - Management Concentration
- BBA - Entrepreneurship
- BS in Criminal Justice - Criminal Justice Administration Concentration
- BBA - Finance Concentration
- BBA - Marketing Concentration
- BBA - Accounting
- AA in Business Administration
- AA in Information Technology
- AA in Marketing
- AA in Acquisition and Contract Management
- AA in Information Systems
- AA in Accounting
- Diploma in Acquisition and Contract Management
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: Clinical Nurse Specialist Specialization - Online
- MA in Communication
- Master of Liberal Arts
- MA in Science Writing
- MS in Applied Economics
- MS in Geographic Information Systems
- MS in Bioinformatics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Government Analytics
- Post-Bachelor's Certificate in Applied Research for Communication
- MS in Food Safety Regulation
- Certificate in Science Writing
- Certificate in Science, Technology, and International Security Studies
- Post-Master Acute Care Pediatric Certificate - Online
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Certificate
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication - Advocacy and Social Impact Concentration
- Master of Arts in Economics
- Master of Public Administration and Policy
- Master of Science in Agile Project Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Graduate Certificate in Agile Project Management
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Analytics and Management
- Graduate Certificate in Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Online Master of Public Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration
- Master of Business Administration - International Business
- Master of Education in Teacher Leadership
- MSHS in Health Care Quality
- MA in Education and Human Development in Secondary Special Education and Transition Services
- MA in Education and Human Development in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Leadership and Administration
- MA in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership
- MA in Education and Human Development in Organizational Leadership and Learning
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality
- Graduate Certificate in Multimedia Development
- Graduate Certificate in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Graduate Certificate in Transition Special Education
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership and Administration
- Graduate Certificate in E-Learning
- Doctor - Management - Criminal Justice
- Doctor of Computer Science
- Doctor of Computer Science in Information Assurance
- Doctor of Management in Graduate Level Instructional Practices
- Doctor of Computer Science in Enterprise Information Systems
- Doctor of Management in Organizational Development and Change
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- MS in Computer Science - Database Systems
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA in Entrepreneurship
- MS - Computer Science - Computer Systems Security
- MS - Information Technology
- BS in Psychology
- BS - Criminal Justice
- BS in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- BS in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- BS - IT - Web Development
- Associate of Science in Business Administration
- Master of Science in Finance
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Real Estate
- Master of Arts in Health and Human Services Administration
- Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- Master of Arts in International Development
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Special Education
- Master of Science in Accountancy
- RN to Bachelors of Science in Nursing