The Virginia Beach area has a variety of diverse post-secondary options, including a health sciences college, two nursing schools and a community college. Based on data presented by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), we compare and contrast the non-specialty schools so students can find the best fit.
Closest Schools to Virginia Beach, Virginia
The closest schools to Virginia Beach are primarily 4-year institutions. As such, several of them offer undergraduate and graduate level degree programs.
- Centura College-Virginia Beach (4.9 miles from downtown)
- South University-Virginia Beach (4.9 miles from downtown)
- Bryant & Stratton College-Virginia Beach (8 miles from downtown)
- ECPI University (8 miles from downtown)
- Strayer University-Virginia Beach Campus (8 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Virginia Beach, Virginia
The largest schools near Virginia Beach are mostly public institutions, but there are big private schools available. For students wanting to attend a larger school, there are several schools in the area that have greater than 1,000 students.
- Tidewater Community College (25,927 students)
- Old Dominion University (24,672 students)
- ECPI University (11,735 students)
- Regent University (6,950 students)
- Norfolk State University (5,107 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Schools' net prices are calculated by the NCES by identifying the total amount of money that full-time, beginning undergraduate students pay to attend; they then subtract the average amount of financial aid those students typically receive. The NCES most recently established net prices for the 2014-2015 school year. During that period, relevant colleges in the area ranged in price from $6,745 to over $25,000.
- Tidewater Community College ($6,745)
- Norfolk State University ($13,468)
- Old Dominion University ($15,236)
- Bryant & Stratton College-Virginia Beach ($15,952)
- Regent University ($17,986)
Highest Graduation Rates
Schools' overall graduation rates are also calculated by the NCES. These rates are calculated by the NCES determining how many full-time, beginning undergraduate students complete their programs within 150% of the amount of time normally allotted for that program. For 2015, most of the schools with greater than 50% graduation rates were specialty schools.
- Centura College-Virginia Beach (79% graduation rate)
- Centura College-Chesapeake (79% graduation rate)
- Hampton University (65% graduation rate)
- Everest College-Chesapeake (61% graduation rate)
- Old Dominion University (53% graduation rate)
The Virginia Beach, VA, area provides multiple private and public institutions for students that offer a range of locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates to meet student needs.