The variety of postsecondary institutions found directly in Waco, TX, include a 4-year private university, a 4-year technical college and several 2-year colleges. To find out which school would be most suitable, it could be helpful to read the comparisons in the following four categories, based on information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Waco, Texas
The majority of schools close to Waco are 2-year schools, but there are some 4-year schools as well. Of these schools, only Baylor University offers graduate level programs in addition to undergraduate programs.
- ITT Technical Institute-Waco (2.4 miles from downtown)
- McLennan Community College (2.6 miles from downtown)
- Texas State Technical College (4.4 miles from downtown)
- Baylor University (7.1 miles from downtown)
- Hill College (31.6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Waco, Texas
Some students may have a preference for the size of the school that they attend. The schools near Waco range in size from about 100 students to more than 16,000 students. The larger schools are mostly public institutions.
- Baylor University (16,263 students)
- McLennan Community College (8,294 students)
- Temple College (5,200 students)
- Hill College (4,020 students)
- ITT Technical Institute-Waco (174 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES determines the net price for a school by subtracting the average amount of financial assistance a full-time undergraduate student receives from the total cost to attend the school. The net prices at the schools in Waco, Texas, ranged between $3,000 and $35,000 in 2014-2015. See the following five schools with the lowest prices:
- Temple College ($3,635)
- Texas State Technical College ($4,739)
- McLennan Community College ($6,284)
- Hill College ($8,077)
- ITT Technical Institute-Waco ($24,941)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES tracks the graduation rates of full-time undergraduate students who complete their studies within 150% of the normal time to earn their desired degree (for example, six years for a bachelor's degree). The following list reports a wide range of graduation rates for students near Waco, according to NCES for 2015:
- Baylor University (70% graduation rate)
- Texas State Technical College (23% graduation rate)
- McLennan Community College (22% graduation rate)
- Hill College (17% graduation rate)
- Temple College (12% graduation rate)
Although schools are limited in the Waco, TX, area, there is a mix of public and private institutions that students can compare using location, size, price, and graduation rates.