Washington Hospitality Universities and Colleges with Degree Info

Jul 26, 2019

Essential Information

Hospitality programs are available at 2-year and 4-year colleges in the state of Washington. These schools offer training in this field as certificate, associate and bachelor's degree programs; one doctoral program is available as well. In addition to hospitality management, hospitality training may be offered through food service and restaurant management, business administration and tourism programs. A practicum of some type is typically required. Generally, there are no special admissions requirements for hospitality certificate and degree programs. More details on the hospitality programs available in Washington schools are ahead.

Clover Park Technical College

Clover Park Technical College is located in Lakewood and offers a restaurant management certificate that features hospitality training. The curriculum in this 44-credit program covers topics like hospitality law, operations management, cost control, marketing and business plan development.

Edmonds Community College

Based in Lynwood, Edmonds Community College has numerous hospitality programs available to students. Students may choose an associate degree program that is designed for transfer to a 4-year university. For example, students can earn an associate degree that is specifically designed to transfer to bachelor's degree programs at Washington State University, Central Washington University and Seattle Community College's south campus.

The Associate of Technical Arts programs offer hospitality and tourism majors that give students the choice of a specialization in business and entrepreneurship or one in management. The hospitality and tourism curriculum includes courses in hospitality employment, lodging management, travel sales and ticketing. Students can also enroll in a 44.5-credit hospitality and tourism certificate program.

Highline College

Highline College is based in Des Moines and offers an Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management and a Hospitality and Tourism Management Certificate in four different concentrations: tourism development, recreation and wellness, catering and event planning and hotel-restaurant. The certificate programs require students to complete 54-63 credits of coursework, while the associate degrees require additional general education courses for a total of 92-98 credits. Students in these programs are required to complete an internship. Courses in the programs include hotel management and operations, catering management, front office operations, accounting and labor relations.

This school also offers short term certificates in food and beverage management, event and conference management, hospitality and tourism specialist and hospitality/tourism customer service. These programs range in length from 9-18 credits.

Peninsula College

Based in Port Angeles, Peninsula College offers a food service management certificate that provides students with hospitality education and training. The program provides 40 credits of coursework and is offered in cooperation with North Olympic Skills Center. Students have an opportunity to learn about event management, laws and regulations, menu planning, cost control and food/beverage industry operations.

Seattle Community College - South Campus

Located in Seattle, students at Seattle Community College - South Campus (also known as South Seattle Community College) can pursue a bachelor's degree in hospitality management. Students in the program are required to earn an associate degree before enrolling. The 90-credit program features upper division coursework in lodging operations, marketing, cost control, accounting and leadership.

Washington State University

Pullman-based Washington State University offers a bachelor's degree program in hospitality business management and a doctoral program in business administration with an emphasis in hospitality and tourism management. Major courses in the bachelor's degree program include operational analysis, service operations management, hospitality leadership and hospitality systems. Students also have an opportunity to learn about beverage management, marketing, culinary management and international tourism. A minor in hospitality business management is another option.

The doctoral degree program provides courses in research and statistics in addition to hospitality and tourism. This program typically is completed in three years, and students must pass a comprehensive exam and write a dissertation.

Whatcom Community College

Located in Bellingham, Whatcom Community College offers certificate and associate degree programs in hospitality and tourism. The 45-48-credit hospitality and tourism business management certificate program covers hospitality management, sales and promotion, tourism operations, food service management and hotel management.

Students in the business administration associate degree program can choose a hospitality and tourism business management emphasis. The curriculum includes courses in travel and tourism operations, event planning, food service management and hotel management.

School Comparison: At a Glance

School Name School Type and Setting Hospitality Programs Offered Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2018-2019)*
Clover Park Technical College 4-year, public; small city Restaurant Management Certificate $5,740
Edmonds Community College 2-year, public; large suburb Hospitality and Tourism Certificate,
Associate of Technical Arts in Hospitality and Tourism,
Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality and Tourism
$4,136 in-state,
$9,506 out-of-state
Highline College 4-year, public; large suburb Short Term Hospitality Certificates,
Hospitality and Tourism Management Certificate,
Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management
$4,026 in-state,
$4,462 out-of-state
Peninsula College 4-year, public; remote town Food Service Management Certificate $4,453 in-state,
$5,023 out-of-state
Seattle College - South Campus 4-year, public; large city Bachelor of Applied Science in Hospitality Management $4,717
Washington State University 4-year, public; distant town Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality Business Management,
Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration - Hospitality and Tourism
$11,584 in-state,
$25,820 out-of-state
Whatcom Community College 4-year, public; small city Hospitality and Tourism Business Management Certificate,
Associate in Science in Business Administration - Hospitality and Tourism Business Management
$4,551 in-state,
$9,980 out-of-state

Source: *NCES College Navigator.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?