The Waterbury area and its neighboring towns have a number of diverse colleges and universities for prospective students to attend. Several of these are 4-year private schools, including an Ivy League university. Others still are 4-year public schools or 2-year community colleges. With so many options to choose from, students can narrow the choices down using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), covering topics such as location, size, price, and graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Waterbury, CT
While only 1 college is in downtown Waterbury, there are a few schools less than 10 miles away. There are both community colleges and universities in this range. Below are the 5 schools closest to Waterbury.
- Naugatuck Valley Community College (downtown Waterbury)
- University of Connecticut-Tri-Campus (1.4 miles away)
- Post University (1.4 miles away)
- Lincoln College of New England-Southington (10.6 miles away)
- Quinnipiac University (12.5 miles away)
Largest Schools Near Waterbury, CT
The Waterbury area doesn't have any particularly large schools, but there are several universities with over 8,000 total students. All 5 schools listed below are 4-year universities, both publicly and privately owned.
- Yale University (12,336 total students)
- Central Connecticut State University (12,037 total students)
- Southern Connecticut State University (10,825 total students)
- Quinnipiac University (9,035 total students)
- Post University (8,366 total students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The traditional schools close to Waterbury with the lowest net price have average net prices below $6,700. The NCES takes the average annual tuition costs and subtracts from that the average financial aid award in order to reach the average net price for a school's full-time students. The 5 schools with the lowest net price are below:
- Middlesex Community College ($4,437)
- Naugatuck Valley Community College ($6,196)
- University of Connecticut-Tri-Campus ($6,442)
- Tunxis Community College ($6,582)
- Gateway Community College ($6,647)
Highest Graduation Rates
The rankings below that were used to establish the highest graduation rates for the traditional universities and colleges near Waterbury are from the NCES and look at the full-time students who finished their programs within 150% of the standard time. The graduation rates for the schools below vary from 61% all the way to 97%.
- Yale University (97% graduation rate)
- Wesleyan University (94% graduation rate)
- Trinity College (86% graduation rate)
- Quinnipiac University (76% graduation rate)
- Albertus Magnus College (61% graduation rate)
Considering factors such as proximity to Waterbury and cost, prospective students can feel confident making the best college selection for their future.