The area of Waukegan features a variety of 2-year and 4-year institutions where students can pursue programs ranging from certificates to graduate-level degrees. Data from the National Center for Education Statistics lists the schools' proximity, student population, net price, and graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Waukegan, Illinois
The majority of the schools nearest Waukegan, Illinois, offer certificate courses and undergraduate degree programs. If you opt to study within a 17-mile distance of Waukegan, you can choose from among the schools included in the list.
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (2.6 miles)
- College of Lake County (8.3 miles)
- Lake Forest College (8.9 miles)
- Trinity International University-Illinois (13.1 miles)
- SOLEX College (16.3 miles)
Largest Schools Near Waukegan, Illinois
The school with the largest student population in Waukegan, Illinois, is Northwestern University, a private not-for-profit institution. In Fall 2014, it had a total student population of 21,554, of which 9,048 were undergraduates. The other large schools, which are predominantly 2-year public institutions, include:
- College of Lake County (15,410 undergraduates)
- William Rainey Harper College (14,957 undergraduates)
- Oakton Community College (10,589 undergraduates)
- McHenry County College (6,567 undergraduates)
- Computer Systems Institute (2,608 undergraduates)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
There's a big difference in the price options amongst the traditional schools near Waukegan, and net prices can differ by thousands of dollars. To calculate the average net price for a school, the NCES takes the total attendance cost for a year and then subtracts the financial aid full-time undergraduate students are awarded. Presented below are the traditional schools with the lowest net prices near Waukegan during the 2014-2015 academic year.
- College of Lake County ($4,590)
- Oakton Community College ($5,941)
- McHenry County College ($6,110)
- William Rainey Harper College ($7,659)
- Chicago ORT Technical Institute ($15,869)
Highest Graduation Rate
To establish graduation rates, the NCES looks at a group of full-time undergraduate students and sees how many of them graduate within 150% of the 'normal' time for program, as well as how many of them finish within the program's standard time. The graduation percentages in 2015 for the top five schools in the Waukegan area were reported by the NCES. Those institutions included below have 50% or higher graduation rates.
- Northwestern University (93%)
- Lake Forest College (72%)
- Computer Systems Institute (66%)
- Chicago ORT Technical Institute (53%)
- SOLEX College (50%)
The schools outlined here were categorized according to four criteria, including the closest schools to Waukegan and the least expensive schools in the area, designed to help you in finding the right institution that suits your needs.