A handful of schools exist right in Amarillo for local college students, including a pair of 2-year institutions and three cosmetology or hair design training centers. However, we focus on comparing and contrasting the traditional schools using information provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to West Amarillo, Texas
All but one school near West Amarillo are less than 2-year or 2-year institutions. As such, most schools in the area only offer students certificates or associate's degrees.
- Amarillo College (4.3 miles from downtown)
- Vista College (5 miles from downtown)
- West Texas A & M University (16.5 miles from downtown)
- Frank Phillips College (40.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near West Amarillo, Texas
The largest traditional institutions in the West Amarillo area are all public schools. The specialty schools in the area are much smaller with less than 200 students.
- Amarillo College (9,936 students)
- West Texas A & M University (9,489 students)
- Frank Phillips College (1,459 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The average net price for a college or university is calculated by subtracting the average amount of financial aid provided to full-time undergraduate students from the total cost to attend the school. The NCES indicated the net prices for all schools in the area for 2014-2015 were less than $22,000.
- Amarillo College ($4,801)
- Frank Phillips College ($7,700)
- West Texas A & M University ($12,232)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES reported that the 3 public schools in the West Amarillo area all have graduation rates below 50% for 2015. Graduation rate is based on full-time, undergraduate students who completed their programs in 150% of the 'normal time'.
- West Texas A & M University (40% graduation rate)
- Frank Phillips College (28% graduation rate)
- Amarillo College (15% graduation rate)
Despite only having a few traditional institutions, West Amarillo, TX, and the surrounding area does provide students with a few choices in school graduation rates, price, size, and location.