Ranging from public and private colleges and universities to vocational schools, technical institutes and for-profit institutions, the West Des Moines, IA, area offers a wide variety of options for postsecondary students. Students trying to choose one of these schools may find it helpful to consider some statistics that we provide from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to West Des Moines, Iowa
The majority of the closest schools to West Des Moines are 4-year institutions, but there are several 2-year schools available. Many of the 4-year schools offer both undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Vatterott College-Des Moines (5.6 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Clive (8 miles from downtown)
- Drake University (8.5 miles from downtown)
- Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus (9.4 miles from downtown)
- University of Phoenix-Iowa (9.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near West Des Moines, Iowa
Some students may want to attend larger schools for more program variety, activities, organizations, etc. For these students, the largest schools near West Des Moines are all private except for the largest school, which is a community college.
- Des Moines Area Community College (22,298 students)
- Drake University (4,991 students)
- Grand View University (1,988 students)
- Simpson College (1,690 students)
- Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus (838 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The net price results from subtracting the average amount of aid offered by the government or institution from the total cost of attendance for a full-time undergraduate. The NCES reports that the net prices for schools in the West Des Moines area (including specialty schools) ranged from approximately $9,000-$28,000 in the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Des Moines Area Community College ($10,105)
- Grand View University ($17,315)
- Kaplan University-Des Moines Campus ($17,881)
- Vatterott College-Des Moines ($19,581)
- Simpson College ($22,474)
Highest Graduation Rates
The graduation rates determined by the NCES are reflective of full-time undergrad students who enrolled at 4-year schools in 2009 or 2-year schools in 2012. A school's graduation rate is the percentage of these students who graduated within 150% of normal graduation time, which is three years for an associate degree or six years for a bachelor's degree. The traditional schools in the West Des Moines area had graduation rates that ranged from 22%-75% for 2015.
- Drake University (75% graduation rate)
- Simpson College (68% graduation rate)
- Grand View University (47% graduation rate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Clive (46% graduation rate)
- Vatterott College-Des Moines (44% graduation rate)
With several 2-year and 4-year traditional institutions, the West Des Moines, IA, area provides students with an array of school locations, student population sizes, net prices, and graduation rates to choose from.