If you're an aspiring student in the West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, area, you have many different public and private institutions to choose from. To help you make your decision, take a look at information from the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
There aren't any traditional schools in West Mifflin, but it's only about six miles from Pittsburgh, the capital of Pennsylvania. As a result, prospective students in the area have plenty of educational option. These five non-specialty schools are the shortest distance from West Mifflin.
- Pennsylvania State University-Greater Allegheny (3.4 miles)
- University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus (5.7 miles)
- Carlow University (6.1 miles)
- Carnegie Mellon University (6.1 miles)
- Duquesne University (7.0 miles)
Largest Schools Near West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
At a large school, you may have more academic options or the chance to participate in a greater number of extracurricular activities. There is one large university near West Mifflin, as well as several midsize institutions. Here are the five schools with the largest student populations, according to the NCES.
- University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus (28,649 students)
- Community College of Allegheny County (16,737 students)
- Carnegie Mellon University (12,963 students)
- Duquesne University (9,404 students)
- California University of Pennsylvania (7,854 students)
Lowest Net Price
Net price is a relevant statistic for aspiring students who are concerned about college affordability. The NCES calculates net price by subtracting the average financial aid package from the total cost of attendance for a full-time undergraduate student. Based on numbers from the 2014-2015 academic year, five least expensive options in the West Mifflin area are all public institutions.
- Westmoreland County Community College ($2,907 per year)
- Community College of Allegheny County ($5,558 per year)
- Pennsylvania State University-New Kensington ($14,227 per year)
- Pennsylvania State University-Greater Allegheny ($15,929 per year)
- University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg ($16,276 per year)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES defines a school's overall graduation rate as the percentage of students who complete their chosen programs of study within 150% of the time typically required. The following five schools have the highest graduation rates within the West Mifflin area, according to data from full-time undergraduates who finished in 2015.
- Carnegie Mellon University (88%)
- University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus (82%)
- Washington & Jefferson College (75%)
- Duquesne University (74%)
- Seton Hill University (59%)
In conclusion, prospective students near West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, can use NCES data to make a well-informed college decision based on proximity to the city, school size, net price, and graduation rates.