Students looking for a college or university in the West Valley City area can choose from community and technical colleges, a large public university, and even a business college. This article can help students make an informed choice by using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), including factors such as: proximity to West Valley City, school size, cost, and graduation rate.
Schools Near West Valley City
Given that West Valley City is a suburb outside Salt Lake City, there are many schools within a 25-mile radius. Below are the 5 schools closest to West Valley City, with 4 of the 5 being privately owned:
- Eagle Gate College-Murray (5.1 miles away)
- ITT Technical Institute-Murray (5.1 miles away)
- Salt Lake Community College (5.1 miles away)
- Stevens-Henager College (5.1 miles away)
- University of Phoenix-Utah (5.1 miles away)
Largest Schools Near West Valley City
There are 3 large schools near West Valley City with more than 30,000 students each. The remaining 34 schools in the area have less than 4,500 students. Below are the 5 schools with the largest student bodies:
- University of Utah (31,515 total students)
- Salt Lake Community College (30,248 total students)
- Independence University (4,478 total students)
- Davis Applied Technology College (3,345 total students)
- Westminster College (2,991 total students)
Lowest Net Price
NCES calculates average net prices by finding the difference between financial aid awards and the total cost of attendance. Average net price and financial aid data used in the following paragraphs is based on full-time, beginning undergraduates attending school in 2014-2015. Of the traditional public and private schools, the following five had the lowest average net prices, ranging from approximately $350 to about $8,500.
- Davis Applied Technology College ($345)
- Mountainland Applied Technology College ($2,221)
- Tooele Applied Technology College ($3,480)
- Salt Lake Community College ($7,619)
- Latter-day Saints Business College ($8,583)
Highest Graduation Rate
NCES determines a school's overall graduation rate, which it defines as the portion of full-time, beginning undergraduates who complete their programs within 150% of normal time. This would be three years for an associate's degree, six years for a bachelor's degree, and varying lengths of time for certificate programs. The five schools below had the highest overall graduation rates, all above 60%, among traditional public or private schools near West Valley City.
- Mountainland Applied Technology College (81% graduation rate)
- Cole Holland College (77% graduation rate)
- University of Utah (64% graduation rate)
- Independence University (63% graduation rate)
- Westminster College (62%)
With the information provided by the NCES regarding proximity, student populations, net price, and graduation rates, prospective students near West Valley City can make a confident and informed college selection.