Interested in attending school in or near Westchester, New York? Read on to learn about which schools are closest to Westchester, have the largest student populations, lowest net prices, and highest graduation rates according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to Westchester, New York
Prospective students in Westchester have numerous nearby options when it comes to schools they can attend. If your greatest concern is long travel times or distance from home, perhaps the following institutions should be the first to consider. Each of the following schools is within five miles of downtown Westchester.
- Fordham University (2.8 miles away)
- CUNY Lehman College (3.4 miles away)
- CUNY Bronx Community College (3.7 miles away)
- CUNY Hostos Community College (4.5 miles away)
- Yeshiva University (5.0 miles away)
Largest Schools Near Westchester, New York
If attending a larger school is important to you - whether for more social opportunities or for a more diverse student population - the institutions below may suit your interests. It should be noted that New York University and Columbia University are both private schools.
- New York University (51,847 students; 26,733 undergraduates)
- Columbia University in the City of New York (31,077 students; 8,216 undergraduates)
- CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College (26,506 students; all undergraduates)
- CUNY Hunter College (23,202 students; 17,212 undergraduates)
- Nassau Community College (17,406 students; all undergraduates)
Lowest Net Price
It's a well-known fact that college can be expensive. If cost is a major factor in selecting an institution, perhaps one of these schools would better suit your budget. The NCES determines net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid received by students from the school's tuition cost; the figures below pertain to full-time undergraduate students enrolled during the 2018-2019 school year.
- Stella and Charles Guttman Community College ($4,313)
- Nassau Community College ($4,377)
- CUNY New York City College of Technology ($4,652)
- SUNY Westchester Community College ($8,135)
- Bergen Community College ($8,614)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates can sometimes give insight toward an institution's quality of education; if graduation rates are important to you, consider the following schools. The NCES determines a school's graduation rate by calculating the number of full-time undergraduate students who complete their chosen degree program within 150% of the normal amount of time; these figures pertain to students who began their schooling in Fall 2013.
- Columbia University in the City of New York (95% graduation rate)
- Barnard College (92% graduation rate)
- New York University (85% graduation rate)
- Stevens Institute of Technology (85% graduation rate)
- Yeshiva University (82% graduation rate)
As shown, students interested in schools based on closeness, size, cost, or graduation rates have many institutions to choose from in and near Westchester, New York.