Weston, Florida, may lack schools, but the numbers in the neighboring towns more than make up for it. Nearby schools in towns such as Davie, Fort Lauderdale and Miami mean that prospective students in Weston wouldn't have to travel more than 25 miles to find plenty of schools. These schools include 4-year private non-profit institutions, 4-year public universities that primarily offer associate's degrees, and 2-year community and technical colleges. If this sounds like a lot to ponder, here we use data from the National Centre for Education Statistics (NCES) to help you narrow the options by comparing schools across four categories, starting with those located closest to Weston.
Closest Schools to Weston, Florida
- William T McFatter Technical College in Davie (9.1 miles)
- University of Fort Lauderdale in Lauderhill (9.3 miles)
- Keiser University-Pembroke Pines (9.3 miles)
- Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale (9.7 miles)
- Keiser University-Ft Lauderdale (13.2 miles)
Largest Schools Near Weston, Florida
If you are travelling from Weston to attend a school in a nearby city, you might be attracted to a school with a large student population to offer you the most social opportunities. There are several large schools in the area, according to NCES statistics from the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Florida International University in Miami (49,782 students)
- Broward College in Fort Lauderdale (43,078 students)
- Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale (23,236 students)
- Keiser University-Fort Lauderdale (16,579 students)
- Barry University in Miami (7,971 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Students can benefit by comparing the average net prices at schools they are considering. The average net price is determined by subtracting the average amount of institutional and governmental financial aid from the total cost of attending the school for the 2014-2015 academic year. This total cost includes in-state tuition, course materials, student fees and some living expenses; all figures come from National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), based on full-time undergraduate rates. The five most affordable schools near Weston are all below $10,000. Of these five public schools, all offer 2-year degrees, except for Broward College, which offers 4-year degrees.
- Lindsey Hopkins Technical College in Miami ($4,684)
- Broward College in Fort Lauderdale ($8,622)
- William T. McFatter Technical Center in Davie ($9,405)
- Florida International University ($11,326)
- Florida Memorial University ($14,969)
Highest Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate is a useful gauge of a school's success, making it an important factor for prospective students to consider. This rate is the percentage of full-time, undergraduate students who complete programs within 150% of the recommended time (three years for an associate's degree, for example). The following are the schools with the highest graduation rates, as supplied by the NCES for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Keiser University-Fort Lauderdale (68%)
- Lindsey Hopkins Technical College in Miami (67%)
- William T. McFatter Technical Center in Davie (63%)
- Florida International University (58%)
In conclusion, there are viable education options near the Weston, Florida area, with sizable populations, moderate pricing and graduation rates.