Only a handful of schools exist in and around Wilmington, North Carolina. To benefit local students interested in a traditional college experience, we focus on the traditional schools in the area and compare them using data provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Wilmington, North Carolina
Students who desire a school with close proximity to Wilmington have mostly public institutions to choose from. Several of the closest schools are 2-year (or less) institutions and a couple are 4-year schools.
- Cape Fear Community College (located downtown)
- University of North Carolina Wilmington (3.6 miles from downtown)
- Miller-Motte College-Wilmington (6 miles from downtown)
- Brunswick Community College (23.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Wilmington, North Carolina
Some students may want to attend smaller institutions, while others may wish to attend larger institutions. For those students wanting the bigger school experience, the Wilmington area offers several schools with more than 1,000 students. Only one of these schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- University of North Carolina Wilmington (14,918 students)
- Cape Fear Community College (8,851 students)
- Miller-Motte College-Wilmington (3,065 students)
- Brunswick Community College (1,651 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The net price is determined by taking the total cost of attendance and subtracting the amount of financial aid the average in-state, full-time undergrad student received. In 2014-2015, net prices at traditional schools in the Wilmington area ranged from about $7,000 to almost $22,000, according to NCES figures.
- Brunswick Community College ($7,139)
- Cape Fear Community College ($9,253)
- University of North Carolina Wilmington ($14,999)
- Miller-Motte College-Wilmington ($21,848)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES lists the graduation rates of each school in the Wilmington area. The graduation rate represents the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who completed their programs within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g. three years for an associate degree). Graduation rates at traditional schools in the area ranged from 22% to 71% in 2015.
- University of North Carolina Wilmington (71% graduation rate)
- Miller-Motte College-Wilmington (35% graduation rate)
- Brunswick Community College (23% graduation rate)
- Cape Fear Community College (22% graduation rate)
Despite only having a handful of traditional institutions, Wilmington, NC, and the surrounding area still give students a diverse choice of school locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates.