Workers Compensation Training and Certification Programs

In workers' compensation programs, students learn managerial and business principles, as well as how to handle and analyze various employee claims processes. Potential employment in the insurance industry can increase with experience in the field, in addition to a bachelor's degree.

Essential Information

Workers compensation professionals monitor payment claims processes, like settlement negotiations. Those interested in this career field could choose a 4-year Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Human Resources Management degree program, where they will learn how to assess the validity and accuracy of a claim, identify fraudulent claims, write reports, review benefits and compensation packages, interview claimants and communicate with insurance companies.

Bachelor of Science in Human Resources Management

A bachelor's degree is required by some employers. Because workers' compensation professionals are employed by a variety of employers, there is no standard bachelor's degree program. For example, claims adjusters in the medical field may benefit from health care degrees, while other workers' compensation professionals may be better prepared with finance or business administration degrees.

Human resources management bachelor's degree programs introduce students to general workers' compensation and related concepts. In addition to worker's compensation concepts, human resources management curriculum covers employee relations and productivity, legal aspects and executive operations, with discussions in the following:

  • Organizational communication
  • Foundations of human resources
  • Business management and leadership
  • Employee recruitment and assessment

Job Outlook and Career Information

Prospects are best for workers' compensation claims adjusters with some experience or a bachelor's degree. Entry-level opportunities are available, and some employers may offer on-the-job training programs, though employees are expected to be familiar with a state's workers' compensation laws prior to employment. Some claims adjusters begin their careers in other fields, and with experience, make the transition to workers' compensation services.

Licenses and Certifications

Some states require workers' compensation claims adjusters to be licensed. Licensure requirements vary widely by state, but most states require claims adjusters to have a combination of formal training and experience. Licensure is granted, in most states, by insurance or workforce development agencies.

Continuing Education

Training workshops may be offered by government agencies and universities. Universities may offer workshops in conjunction with business administration, management or human resources programs. Insurance or workforce development government agencies may provide training workshops leading to state licensure. These training workshops cover legal aspects of claims adjustment, proper workers' compensation practices and accurate claims assessment.

Workers compensation professionals can find career advancement information through local or regional workers compensation associations. Most states or regions have associations that provide networking, continuing education and legal information for claims adjusters.

Training and certification programs in workers' compensation will prepare students for entrance into the field as claims adjusters. Although a bachelor's degree is not typically required, a degree in a field like human resources management could help with career advancement.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?