Ypsilanti hosts just one four-year public university, but it's proximity to towns like Ann Arbor means that prospective students can find several school options within 20 miles of Ypsilanti. This article will examine several schools in the Ypsilanti area using statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Ypsilanti, MI
If you are willing to drive a short distance, the schools outside the city of Ypsilanti range from six to 16 miles away. Below are some of the closest colleges near the city:
- Eastern Michigan University (located in Ypsilanti)
- University of Michigan (6.3 miles away)
- Concordia University (6.7 miles away)
- Washtenaw Community College (6.7 miles away)
- Madonna University (15.8 miles away)
Largest Schools Near Ypsilanti, MI
Student body size is an important criterion for those who value a high sense of community or having a lot of options regarding social clubs or extracurricular activities. The schools with the largest student populations are as follows:
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (43,651 students)
- Eastern Michigan University (21,824 students)
- Henry Ford College (12,755 students)
- Washtenaw Community College (12,211 students)
- Schoolcraft College (11,687 students)
Lowest Net Price
The average net price for colleges and universities in the U.S. is determined by NCES by subtracting financial aid awards from the total cost of attendance for full-time, beginning undergraduates paying in-district or in-state tuition. The following schools had the lowest net prices in the area surrounding Ypsilanti in 2014-2015.
- Washtenaw Community College ($3,503)
- Henry Ford College ($3,928)
- Schoolcraft College ($4,854)
- University of Michigan-Dearborn ($11,382)
- Eastern Michigan University ($12,782)
Highest Graduation Rate
NCES reports overall graduation figures based on the portion of new, full-time students who complete their programs of study within 150% the normal time, or six years for a bachelor's degree and three years for an associate's degree. The highest graduation rates at public or private non-profit schools near Ypsilanti range from 90% down to 36%.
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (90%)
- Madonna University (61%)
- University of Michigan-Dearborn (53%)
- Concordia University-Ann Arbor (43%)
- Eastern Michigan University (40%)
To summarize, although there is only one school in Ypsilanti, MI, there are plenty of viable schools within a short driving distance that may fit the desired criteria for your prospective academic career.