- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 141
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Counseling as a Profession: Types of Counselors
Course SummaryBoost your knowledge of mental health counseling to prepare for exams or satisfy your personal curiosity about counseling techniques using this Mental Health Study Guide course. Engaging video lessons make it easy to learn and retain information about counselor roles, approaches and more.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding material on mental health counseling will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding how mental health professions came into being, education and licensing requirements, the intake process, making a diagnosis, or any other mental health counseling topic.
- Need an efficient way to learn about mental health counseling.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra mental health learning resources at school.
How It Works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Confirm your understanding through lesson quizzes and chapter exams.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
Why It Works
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Mental Health final exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
In this course, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How do counseling professionals differ from one another?
- What education and competencies do different types of counselors need?
- How do counselors work with other professionals?
- Who are the important historical figures in the history of counseling?
- What is multicultural counseling?
- What is the initial intake process?
- How is a first interview conducted?
- Who performs tests and assessments?
- What is the DSM?
- What are the steps involved in making a diagnosis?
- How do you recognize a somatoform disorder?
- What is meant by an eating disorder?
- What are the clinical hallmarks of a personality disorder?
- How are sexual disorders classified and treated?
- Why is gender identity disorder sometimes difficult to recognize?
- What are the different types of counseling approaches?
- How are psychiatric drugs incorporated into the counseling process?
- Why are community counseling approaches so important for prevention?
- How do you work with a client within the counseling relationship?
- How do you know when it is time to terminate counseling?
- What is the role of ethics in counseling?
- How do mental health needs change throughout the lifespan?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Mental Health Counseling?
- Online Mental Health Counseling Courses and Classes
- Career Information for a Degree in Mental Health Counseling
- Top Schools for Mental Health Counseling
- Mental Health Counseling Degrees in Nashville, TN with Course Info
- Mental Health Counseling Courses in Arizona with Diploma Info
- Mental Health Counseling Courses in California with Degree Info
- Mental Health Counseling Degrees in Des Moines with Course Info
- Mental Health Counseling Degrees in Missouri with Course Overviews
- Mental Health Counseling Courses in Utah with Degree Program Info
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses