Phenotypic Ratio: Definition & Overview

Instructor: Dominic Corsini
This lesson addresses the concept of phenotypic ratio. It includes definitions, examples, and illustrations. A brief quiz accompanies the lesson and highlights its major points.

Feathered Friends

A friend of mine recently purchased some chickens. I'm not sure what type of chicken he bought, but I know his intention is to collect and sell their eggs. Hopefully this earns him a few dollars. I suppose his purchase means we live in a fairly rural community, which is perfectly acceptable. Sometimes rural communities are the best places to study biology. Yet, despite our location and my love of biology, I have no desire to own chickens or collect eggs. When it comes to farm animals I'm more about reading and less about doing. But I can see their usefulness in scientific studies. For example, take a look at the chickens in this picture.

Phenotypic Variation in Chickens
Phenotypic Variation in Chickens

Notice how all three chickens have different phenotypes. A phenotype represents one of the physical characteristics of an organism. In this example, each chicken displays a different phenotype for feather color.

Physical Appearances

Phenotype is a common term in genetic studies. It's often associated with Punnett squares. Punnett squares are diagrams used to assist people in determining the phenotypes of a genetic cross. For example, suppose you allow two black chickens to breed. A Punnett square could help predict the likelihood of producing offspring with a specific phenotype. Here is an example to guide you.

Chicken offspring phenotypes
Punnett square

For the purposes of this lesson, you needn't worry about why the offspring appear as they do. Instead, focus on the end result. In the example there are three black offspring and one white offspring produced. So in genetic terms you'd say these two black chickens have a 75% chance of producing black offspring, or a 25% chance of producing white offspring. That is the function of a Punnett square.

Predictions made by the example Punnett square (feather color) were given in percentages. However, they could also be presented as a ratio. A ratio is the comparison between two numbers. The ratio of black to white chicken offspring in our example cross is 3:1.

To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account

Register to view this lesson

Are you a student or a teacher?

Unlock Your Education

See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com

Become a Study.com member and start learning now.
Become a Member  Back
What teachers are saying about Study.com
Try it risk-free for 30 days

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Create an account to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days!
Create an account
Support